Under the lights|Andrew

A/N: This felt lack luster,might go back and re do it

Standing here in a place like this made him want to die. Amongst the rich nobles and ever richer Dukes and dutchesses. Someone like him of lowly birth shouldn't even be here and if it wasn't for you he would have left immediately. But old habits died hard, he couldn't help but watch you dance with the younger heirs like an older sister.

You were so friendly, always willing to strike up a conversation, listening to people, and sharing ideas. He watched you flutter about to the table, the floor, back to your parents, dance, stop and drink a bit, back to the floor, dance with several people then head back to your parents! Phew! he felt tired just watching you! Yet you weren't even breaking a sweat, that lovely dark blue and simple dress hung loosely off your shoulders.

You looked so pretty, he was jealous of all the men and women who got to dance with you.
As your lover you'd think he of all people would be in there, walking with you from person to person. Guiding you into the next song and eating together, it wasn't fair.

He wanted to go in there and dance with you! He wanted to admire the pretty crown atop your head and celebrate your birthday properly! Andrew steeled his nerves and released the strong grip he had on the pillar and made a move to step forward. But just before his foot crossed the threshold he caved and hid behind the pillar again.

'Come on Kriess! What would mama think?! She'd be so ashamed that I can even dance with my own lover' he punched the wall. Damn his social anxiety! Damn it all to hell! 'Come on,I can do this' he pulled the small mask out of his pocket that hid most of his facial scars. The greenish hat with a feather capping the hat shifted as he put the mask on properly.

He was going to walk in there, swoop you off your feet and give you a wonderful night! Nothing was going to stop him! He took a few shakey steps into the ballroom. No one noticed him, good. Now all he had to do was find you...where ever you had zipped off to.

'For someone in heels, she sure can move' he carefully scanned the room, looking for a glittery head, and- "Ah" there you were! Dancing with your father in a large circle with the two of you in the center of it all.

This was a problem, How was he supposed to get in there? He couldn't just walk in and demand to dance with you like that! ....or could he?

He imagined himself pushing past the crowd, taking your hand with a bow, and leading you into another dance.

If only he had that kind of courage in reality.

Sighing he watches you twirl with your father as the music slowly comes to a stop. Now perked up Andrew flexes his hand in an attempt to get your attention.

'Nows my chance!' Once you enter the crowd he lunged forward, aiming for your gloved hand.

"Do I know you?" However he'd made a mistake, a younger woman, a cousin of yours blinked at him and Andrew jumped back as if he'd been burned.

"S-sorry," he said and immediately shuffled back to his spot outside. This was it, he could already see his mother rolling in her grave. He wanted to go home, back to his little shack on the outskirts of the Village where no one would bother him. He didn't belong in such a cheery and festive place and he knew it! But he was selfish and wanted his own little sun,his firefly to light up his rainy days. He knew you'd be better off with some aristocratic yet he couldn't get himself to leave you," she looks so lovely"

He watched from his spot as you took another sip of water then suddenly started to teeter in your heels. Despite his bad eyesight he'd learn how to zero in on certain things.

'Did she just stumble?' He asked himself, now paying closer attention to your body motions. You kept rubbing your face and fanning yourself as you talked to an ex-suiter,' that's it, she needs a break he wasn't sure where the courage came from but he immediately started walking towards you.

"-then I, Can I help you?" The suiter asked politely.

"Hm? Oh, Drewy! You finally c-came inside!" You hadn't seen him all night and for a moment you thought he'd up and left. You wouldn't blame him, your family had to be entertained and as the next head of the family you had a role to fill.

He took his glove off with his teeth and put a cool hand to your forehead, "burning up, you need to take a break"

"But-"

"You'll make yourself sick again," he warned, he didn't even realize everyone had stopped to stare at the two of you," or are you already drunk?"

" 'M not drunk! It's just a lil hot in here"

He didn't believe you, "I think you've had enough," he said, taking the glass out of your hands and placing it on the table," its late, not to mention you have to take off all your things"

"Noooooo" you whined into his chest, wallowing in his scent and coolness.

"He's right, it's gotten late," your father said with your mother thanked everyone on your behalf," bring her to her room won't you?" He asked, "I have to see the family out"

"Yes sir"

"But daddy....im...not even..." you yawned, leaning deeper into Andrew's chest.

"Yes It is most definitely around that time"

"I'll take care of her" He guided you toward the end of the ballroom as you sleepily and drunkenly waved goodbye to everyone. You kept saying something about needing to be a good hostess like your mother.

With a pat on the shoulder, Andrew helped you to your bedroom.

"Hiiiii Nina, byeeeee Nina" you waved to one of the maids,"...Andrew?"

"Hm?" He hummed, opening your door and helping you to your massive bed.

"Why didn't you come dance with me?" You sat down on your bed as he undid your heels, rubbing the pressure out of them.

"..."

"Andrew? Are you....do I make life harder for you?" You knew he liked being alone most of the time and you wondered for a while now if this was the last straw? "Andrew?" He put your legs down and pulled his glove off. Turning from you he faced the window, moon high in the sky.

"I don't think iv ever told you this but you remind me of this one night a few years back, it was when I couldn't sleep so I went for a walk, it was pitch black outside and I didn't know what to do with myself," he turned back to you and helped take the jewelry off, "It was then that I saw a firefly, blinking in the night, strangely enough, it followed me home...I know that might not make any sense but,___, you're my firefly"

"Im...I'm not sure what that means" that was the thing with Andrew, he struggled to say what he meant.

"I mean you make life better, You're glow has never hurt my eyes, did that make sense?"

"I...I think so?" It was hard to really think as drunk as you were but as long as he was happy with you, it was ok, "I missed you"

"You shouldn't be standing,___" he held your hands and tried to convince you to sit back down.

"One last dance? Please?"

"One last dance and then it's to bed with you"

So he placed his hands on your back and you both swayed to the sound of your heartbeats.