Halfway to the neighborhood, Joseph made a U-Turn.

I looked up from my Math notes. "What's going on?"

"You've been summoned to the palace."

"What?"

This had never happened before. Usually, it was a text message or a call but never a summons. I grabbed my phone and dialed the main house.

"Good afternoon Miss Borek," Trevor said. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Who's summoning me?" I asked. "No, wait. Why am I being summoned?"

"It's no cause for concern," Trevor replied. "I've been told to expect your arrival. We'll see you soon, Miss Borek."

He ended the call. I gaped at my cell phone. Did he hang up on me? Sighing, I rubbed my temples. Calm down, I told myself. It's probably nothing.

I glanced at my cell phone. Alexander was a phone call away. If I asked, he would tell me. I shook my head. No, he was busy. I shouldn't disturb him with this.

Trevor waited for me at the house when the car pulled up to the front door. He took my backpack and led me inside.

"This way," he said.

This time, he went further into the house and stopped in front of decorated double doors. He opened the door and motioned me inside. Feeling suspicious, I walked in, and Trevor closed the door behind me. It was a cute little office with light-colored furniture. My shoes sunk into the soft carpet. There was a desk in the far back of the room and two chairs in front of it. I sat in one of them and waited.

I didn't have to wait long. Noah walked in through a side door, followed by two bodyguards. One of them stationed herself by the door, and the other stayed by Noah. Noah took a seat behind the desk.

I frowned. "What's going on? Did something happen?"

"Ever since the Extremists went public with their campaign, I've been in charge of security," Noah explained. "All royal family members, employees, and ambassadors have been monitored closely."

The way he spoke, I wasn't going to like what I would hear.

"I'll cut to the chase. Few are questioning your integrity."

I knew I should be panicking or coming up with an excuse, but I could only think of a few people who would betray me. First was Carlos; Camellia wouldn't sell me out; Lady Hargrave probably wanted me gone; Joseph hadn't liked that I was keeping secrets. Either way, it could be either one of them.

"So, you've investigated these allegations," I said. "What did you find?"

"You've been consorting with terrorists," he stated bluntly.

Sighing, I sat back in my chair.

"Carlos is my partner in class," I told him. "If I want to pass, I need to work with him."

"Keeping vital information jeopardizes our security. That's the same as working with terrorists."

Ah. There it was. It'd been Joseph. Anger burned in my chest. My throat tightened. To think I couldn't even trust my chauffeur.

"What is going on here?"

As Alexander's question echoed through the room, I started to panic. I looked down and tried to look at him discreetly. When I met his gaze, his anger was directed at me. I turned away.

"Brother," Noah began. "I was just -"

"I know what you were doing," Alexander interrupted him. "I told you I would handle it."

Alexander grabbed my arm and 'helped' me out of my chair. He turned and walked out of the room, pulling me along. The hallways twisted and turned. Suddenly he stopped and pulled me into a room. He shut the door and pressed me against it. Both of his hands were beside my head. His shadow fell over me.

"Rin, look at me." His voice was flat.

Biting my lip, I glanced up. His gaze accused me.

"I thought we could tell each other everything," he said. "Was I the only one who thought that?"

"You're busy," I began.

"Don't give me that excuse. I've always made time for you."

"I know. It's just-"

"What?"

I sighed. "I don't want to take you away from the concerns of your people."

"You are one of my people."

I pulled at the edge of my shirt. "I'm sorry."

Alexander pulled me into his chest, kissing my head. "Now, tell me what you've been doing."

I squired in his arms, but he didn't let go. Defeated, I pressed my forehead against his shoulder.

"I saw your mom talking to Henry, the guy that was part of your assassination attempt, so I asked a few people to follow him."

Alexander went rigid. He grabbed my shoulders and pushed me away to look into my eyes. "What?"

In response, I showed him the pictures I had taken.

"Why did you say anything?"

"Because that would mean that your mother, the Queen Consort, may be a terrorist?"

He closed his eyes. "Rin. This isn't something you keep quiet. Why did we have to hear it from Noah, who heard it from your chauffeur?"

"Because there's a traitor."

"What?"

"If you think about it, it makes sense. How else did the assassins get into the building that day? There aren't many people who have access and -"

"Rin."

I looked at him, ready to explain, but the words died on my lips. His eyes were sympathetic. He stared at me as if I were a child caught red-handed. My eyes welled up. He didn't believe me. I looked away.

"I'm sorry for keeping this a secret. I shouldn't have let my personal feelings on the matter cloud my judgment."

"And?" he prompted.

"I won't accuse royal members of being terrorists without any proof. That can cause a defamation lawsuit."

"And," he said. "It's not your job. I told you before. I want you to enjoy being in high school."

"Sorry."

"I'll talk to Noah and our security about this Henry person. In the meantime, I think you should step back from some of your responsibilities-"

"What? Why?"

Alexander gave me a look. "Are you keeping up with your work?"

"Kind of," I began weakly.

"I'll take care of this," he said. "Let's get you home."

A pit twisted in my stomach. There was a sour taste in my mouth. So much for discreetness. Even though I could still rely on Camellia, I would be watched more closely.

After many kisses from Alexander, he had Joseph take me home. I couldn't bring myself to speak or look at him. Joseph chatted like any other day. A better person would have accepted he'd been doing his job, and I shouldn't be upset, but I didn't want to be a better person. Not right now. Instead, I ignored him.