motives aren't always incidental

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Why? Why?!" You stepped away, accidentally smudging the message in the process. "You hear that Stu, I think she wants a motive..."

Unfortunately, you could still make it out perfectly.

'This is how you make me feel.'

"Mask..." You attemped to conjoure up his image in your mind. You wanted to remember how he was when you last saw him. It was barely even an hour ago that he was sitting near you and bickering with your friend. Full of life.

You tightened your grip on your phone. "What did you do to him?"

"He saw too much." No further explanation than that. Your hand tightly squeezed, as if you had the stranger's throat in your grasp and you were planning to get revenge. And oh, you definitely did. You would in some shape or form.

It wouldn't have mattered even if they did elaborate, though. Because you couldn't imagine Mask alive anymore. You couldn't imagine him playing games, or fighting in battle, or commenting on a bad horror movie. You could only imagine the ways he possibly died. And if they told you the truth, you'd never be able to erase it from your mind.

"Don't get too caught up in it. He was on the list anyway. And you're still on the clock. It isn't over 'til credits roll."

Their reply was so fitting that it was like they read your mind. Of course they could. They knew your number, your friends, where you were- Why not violate your mind too?

Except they were already doing that. It was evident by the angry tears in the corners of your eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm coming home tonight. Be good and welcome me with a kiss at the door."

They hung up before you could detest.

You were silent in disbelief. Their audacity completely took you off guard, because even though they had been mocking you all night, never would you have expected that.

A kiss at the door... They probably only want that so they can stab you right after.

That thought made your teeth bare in anger. You couldn't let yourself be insulted like that, especially not by them.

So you did the only rational thing and flung your phone across the room. You wouldn't have to listen to their disgusting voice anymore and you could focus your energy onto something useful- Clinging onto what was left of your loved ones and getting the hell out of here.

You went to do so. But the sound of a door slamming open made your heart jump. Someone was running downstairs.

"I heard a sound! Are you okay?!"

Before you could even find something to defend yourself with, you were caught. Fortunately, it was only by Aloha. Concern was abundant in his expression and his arms were wide open like he was ready to offer a comforting hug.

Unfortunately, he was holding something he definitely shouldn't have been.

When you leaned out of his grasp and sent a nasty glare his way, he shrugged obliviously. "What?"

You crossed your arms and narrowed your eyes on him. "Why do you have a gun on you?"

That accusatory tone made him lock up, though there was an edge of confusion in his eyes. He practically jumped when he saw the 52. Gal he was holding, as if he forget he had it with him. He put his hands in the air to show he was innocent.

"Woah, don't get any ideas! After you-know-what happened to Headphones and Goggles, I just wanted to bring this in case it happened again! And you-know-what did, so..."