The Lord of the Tides (2)

The next morning all were in the Throne Room, Rhaella's grandfather sat upon the Iron Throne. Rhaella stood by Lucerys with the twins in her arms, looking at her family with a blank face. Rhaenyra stood in front of them, Jacaerys next to them, Daemon slightly in front of Jacaerys and Rhaena next to Jacaerys.

Rhaenys stood with Baela across the room, Vaemond in front of them closer to the Throne and in line with the Targaryen-Velaryon-Hightower family.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters. The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon."

Vaemond looked at Lucerys as he walked to the center of the Throne Room, "My Queen. My Lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end of their bloodlines and their name. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

Rhaenyra spoke up, showing her defense of her son and family, his small family as well, "As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant it's rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition."

"You will have a chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard," Rhaella's mother cut of her half-sister and mother-in-law's rant.

Vaemond Velaryon turned towards Rhaenyra and the rest of her family. Rhaella moved closer to Lucerys with the twins clinging onto her. Vaemond looked at Lucerys, Rhaella and their children, "What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?" He turned his head towards Rhaenyra, "I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours." Vaemond looked at Lucerys before turning back to the Hand and Queen, "My Queen, my Lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I placed the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides."

"Thank you, Ser Vaemond," her grandfather nodded. Vaemond casted a glance over his shoulder before moving to his spot from before, "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon."

Rhaenyra tiredly walked to the middle of the Throne Room, "If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly twenty years ago, in this very—-"

Rhaenyra was cut off by the large doors of the hall opening, everyone looking back seeing the King. Rhaella looked in shock as she saw her father, half his face covered in a golden mask as he limped his way into the room, her grandfather shifting.

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar," Rhaenyra watched him with wide eyes. Her grandfather rose from the Throne, "Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm."

Her mother also looked shocked to see him, Rhaella was glad that he was there now. She never thought he wouldn't have shown up for Rhaenyra, he always had. Lucerys would be the heir to Driftmark by the time this was all over. Her grandfather, walked to the bottom of the Throne as her father made his way towards it.