6.

| Chapter Six |

Arriving at the house booming with music and yelling people, we all stepped out of the truck and stood together, staring at the house.

"Don't just stand there, let's go get drunk!" Topper let out an exasperated groan as he walked backward toward the house, shooting us grins.

I took Sarah's hand in mine as Rafe followed behind us, entering the house behind Topper. Different colored lights flashed in different directions as music roared in our ears.

I let out a laugh as I saw a guy in the distance wearing a dress with a cowboy hat on, chugging beers left and right. His body squirmed as he listened to the cheers that erupted once he threw the two cans down.

A hand on my back caught me from bumping into somebody, making me look up and smile at Rafe who was already looking down at me with a dimpled smirk.

I guided Sarah beside me as we sang the lyrics to the music, our grins matching as we let loose and let our bodies dance to the rhythm.

"Come on, let's get a drink." She yelled over the music, making Rafe's hand drop from my back as she maneuvered us through the crowd.

I looked back and caught his eyes over the people around us, sending him a small smile as I turned back and followed behind Sarah.

"Do you have a preference?" She asked, leaning into my side. I shook my head and watched her grab two glass bottles of Jack Daniel's Downhome Punch.

She quickly peeled the tops off and clanked hers with mine before we tipped our heads back and took a swallow of the sweet and tangy liquid.

The two of us wore matching smirks as I wiped a bead of the liquid from my lips before it could trickle down to my chin.

"Atta girl, I knew you were secretly a party girl." She giggled and walked the two of us around, our heads bopping to the music even when it changed to a different song.

Over by the living room area sat a group of guys that included Topper and Rafe, the two of them watching guys snort cocaine.

Rafe resisted the tick in his neck as he stared at the action, his jaw clenching as he held back.

"C'mon Rafe, you gotta try this man! It's like nothing I've had before! It's our first party of the summer, be a man and own up to it." The guys around him all laughed except for Topper who was eyeing him warily.

Topper knew the consequences of his actions and he wasn't going to let Rafe go near Lane if he agreed. He wasn't going to let Rafe ruin Lane like he had done to Sarah and himself.

Rafe hesitantly grabbed the dollar bill from the guy and stared at it, his thoughts running wild as his instincts told him no but his head told him yes.

He looked up and scanned the crowd, finding a smiling Lane with Sarah as they laughed together. His heartbeat roared in his ears as he stared at the blonde woman, imagining what had happened when he abused drugs, swearing to himself that he wouldn't do the same to her.

"No." He shook his head, throwing the dollar bill on the table as he sat back in his seat. "Someone else take it." He waved his hand and looked away.