Ras and Clarissa Part 1

Start from the beginning

Ras raised his eyebrows. "Nuns go on patrol?"

"Those who are capable, of course. Not everyone can, and most who do are usually supporters and healers. Luckily for me, I have the opportunity to prove myself to the Goddess and to you."

"To me?"

"Why, yes. If I remember correctly, you'll be joining us on patrols after your meeting with the future king. But enough of that for now. Please, go. Prince Aither is waiting for you."

Clarissa continued on her own down the hall, disappearing around the corner.

"Master, I think she's someone we should fear. By we, I mean mostly me."

Ras chuckled. "You didn't even apologize for wrecking her flowers. Consider yourself lucky you didn't become mulch for the next generation of plant life."

"She's scary! More than she lets on. I think she's the source of the chain noise, too. I could hear them as she passed us by."

"Again with the chains. When we see her again, I'll make sure you--"

"It's you! The Heir of the Covenant is here!" said a voice from deep within the royal chamber.

Before he knew it, Ras was beset upon by a young boy eagerly sprinting up to him. The long, flowing blond hair trailed down as he leapt into Ras' arms.

"Glad to see you so enthusiastic, prince Aither. Despite the circumstances, your brightness is great to see in person."

Aither got down to the floor, straightening out his outfit. "My mother always wanted me to stay positive. To keep myself on my toes no matter what may trip me up. Of course..." He paused, looking around the room before lowering his voice to a whisper. "Not everyone feels the same way. Nevertheless, I want to prove that we can come together and work to right the wrongs. That's what I believe, anyway."

"Very well said, my king." said a gruff voice in the distance. A grey haired man made his entrance, as his presence brought the knights standing in the room a cause to straighten up their stance. His dignified stroll indicated a man most faithful to the former queen and current king. Sir Charles Sharon, a highly respected and decorated commander of the Order of the Sword, approached Aither with pride etched on his face.

"Your mother taught you well." he said, patting the young prince on the back. "I'm glad you have maintained through the darkness."

Aither tried to squirm away but Charles wouldn't let him go so easily. However, once he gazed upon Ras, the joyous expression turned into disapproval for the heir.

"I'm sure you can understand the plight of the people at this point, considering your late awakening. Even those such as myself were pushed to the edge of our wits. Almost losing hope and falling into despair during the war, and the resulting chaos that ensued ever since. Even so, I believe in the Goddess' will and I will defend her judgment until the end..."

Charles turned back to the throne at the opposite end of the room. It was still early in the morning, so the sun shone fully through the windows even from such a low angle. The guards facing that direction had to shift away from the glare coming from each other's armor.

"You all are free to leave." Charles urged, acknowledging the knights. "Those who are up for it can assist on patrols."

A sparse, yet enthusiastic "yes sir!" rang out, as the guards marched out of the room. Of the fifteen stationed in that one room, only four remained where they were. As the last of the guards took their leave, Charles continued addressing Ras.

"As you can see, morale is very low for multiple reasons. As commander, it's my duty to recognize and make adjustments. It's a shame that I cannot watch over Aither and my men all the time."

"So you want me to keep watch in your stead?" Ras asked.

"Precisely. It's becoming too tall of a task for me to keep tabs on all of my soldiers and protect the king at the same time. My other subordinates have their hands tied as well, so I cannot rely on them."

"You can count on us!" Arky answered, leaping off of Ras' shoulder. "He may not look like it, but my master is exceptionally good at commanding others."

Ras left out a nervous laugh. "In a sense. Aside from that, I'm supposed to be helping with today's patrols, apparently."

"That is correct. You will be joining a few others just outside the eastern walls of Ezera. There's still time to catch up, so hurry along now."

Charles continued on his way to the inner grounds of the castle. His slow pacing as he carried Aither was a sight for the two of them to witness. For someone with such status as him, very rarely did he waver. In this world, as Ras observed, there was plenty of reason for him to do so. His frustration with the tardiness of the Heir of the Covenant must have run deep for some time. He found himself watching Charles as he rounded the corner and disappear from view.

"Come on, let's go already!" Arky pleaded, bopping Ras' cheek with his paw. "We gotta meet up with the others!"

"Right, sorry. Just lost in thought for a moment." he said, taking his leave and going in a different direction.