As Emily and Atticus were heading to the parking buggy, a thin older adult man went up to Emily while looking mad.

"Hey, you," the man greeted with a mad attitude. "Why'd you placed the ticket on my car?"

Emily shrugged. "I dunno, your parking meter bleeped after your payment for two hours. So since you didn't paid before the expiry occur, then who's fault was that?"

"Wise mouth from an officer," the man sneered. "But I don't like when you put this on my car."

"Well, you should come here to pay extra before it'll be expired," Emily countered. "Then this could have been avoided, but it didn't. So again, who's fault was that?"

Before the man was going to grab Emily, he suddenly froze when he saw Atticus glared at him.

"Law is law, sir," Atticus notified. "Unless you won't get arrested for not paying the ticket and for about harass the deputy, you'd better do it. Now!"

The man nodded before he suddenly rushed off.

Atticus glanced up to the other civilians with the same tickets. He gave one glare. "Anyone else would like to complain about this deputy's work for your expiration?"

They shook their heads before exiting the scenery by Atticus's intimidation. Atticus scoffed before glancing down at Emily. He noticed Emily's expression. "Hey, Short Stack. Pennies for thoughts?"

"I know my worst day will be bad, but you don't have to make it better by scaring the civilians who got mad they got the tickets away," Emily confessed.

"Why not? Those dummies need to learn things like this. Otherwise, they'll experience the same problem again."

"Even so, you need to tone done your...uh intimidating presence."

"Don't know what you're talking about, Short Stack. Anyway, I'd better get some lunch. Need anything?"

"A cup of coffee and a toasted sandwich would be nice."

Atticus shrugged. "Whatever. I'll be back with lunch."

He soon walked off, leaving Emily alone with the parking patrol buggy. She sat down in her buggy, thinking she was alone until she felt presence.

Emily turned around and saw a young woman around her age who dressed in a punk rock Gothic clothing of grey sleeveless shirt, a pair of black pants, a pair of darker grey sneakers. Around the woman's waist, her belt was clipped with chains. Her raven hair had purple highlights.

The punk rock Gothic woman expressed a playful smirk at Emily. "You must be new here. Tone down Officer Stone's intimidation? Please. Like you knew him better than anyone else."

"And I suppose you do," Emily asked.

"He's like one of the best customers at the thrift store my Dad and I worked at."

"Do you know why he acted like that?"

"Might as well tell you just to give you a little heads up, deputy. But before that, what's your name?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm Emily Kent, deputy since Day One. What's yours?"

"Lucinda Evans. Anyway back to your question." She then let out a sigh. "Atticus wasn't always had that grim attitude. Back then, he used to be like you. Calm, determined with a smile, wise. The whole package."

Emily was curious. She'd never imagine Atticus to be happy, let alone determined. "What changed him?"

"You mean you don't know? Didn't you read the article about the incident seven years ago?"