Chapter 1: Love at First Babu

Summary: Following the arrival of his best friend Crisostomo Ibarra, Fidel meets Klay, a mysterious mestiza de sangley who challenges him and his beliefs. As he starts questioning himself and the presence of the woman before him, he wonders if she is but a mere disturbance in his life or something much greater.

Author's Note: I do not own the characters of Noli Me Tangere or Maria Clara at Ibarra. This is just an idea in my head about the story of Klay and Fidel in the teleserye. Please excuse my writing since it's my first time. The story's mainly in English pero sa mga dialogue may Filipino/Spanish din para consistent dun sa show.

Based on the events in Episodes 3 & 4 of Maria Clara at Ibarra from Fidel's POV (and Klay's)

After 7 years, Juan Crisostomo Ibarra y Magsalin sent a letter to his closest friend Fidel Reyes y Maglipol detailing his return to Las Filipinas.

Just like Ibarra, Fidel also studied in Europe. Aside from sightseeing the beautiful landmarks, trying the delicious cuisine, conversing with like-minded Europeans, and even meeting beautiful women, he wanted to learn more about managing a business. His studies were cut short when his father got sick. Because of this, Fidel had to leave his amigo in Europe, promising to keep in touch until Ibarra finishes his studies and comes back to Las Filipinas.
Now in charge of Maglipol Empresa Comercio, a successful trading company in his hometown of San Diego, he applied what he had learned to take care of the business.

Awaiting Crisostomo's imminent return, a celebration was currently being arranged by Maria Clara and her family. Nearby, Fidel had lunch at Cafe La Campana with two acquaintances. As they discussed both business and personal affairs, he was surprised to hear a familiar voice.

"Sinasabi ko nanga at dito ko lamang kayo matatagpuan."

Fidel stood up and warmly greeted Ibarra, sharing a toast to his return.

"Bueno. Sientate, amigo."

He told him to sit down, looking forward to catching up.

"Sandali nga pala at may kasama akong binibini. Siya raw ay dayuhan dito sa siyudad. Sa kasamaang-palad ay hindi pa raw nanananghalian ang pobrecita."

Fidel directed his attention to the mestiza de sangley his friend was referring to and he had to admit, she was quite pleasing to the eyes.

He stood up again, noticing just how small the woman was before him. It was quite adorable.

"Isang magandang dalaga." Fidel said with a smirk.

"Amigo, kaya pala ibig mong tulungan."

'Ay, mukhang babaero 'tong lalakeng 'to. Grabe makatingin. Ang yabang ng dating akala mo naman napakapogi. Chinito lang naman. May mas gwapo pa sa'yo sa panahon ko gaya ni Xian Lim o kaya si Dennis Trillo...'

For a second, Klay wondered how someone like Sir Ibarra was friends with someone like him but chose not to assume anything just yet.

'Huwag mo munang i-judge, Klay. Hindi mo pa naman kilala. Eh kung kaibigan siya ni Sir Ibarra edi baka mabait nga.'

Fidel, along with the rest of the men at the table, raised their eyebrows when the mestiza sat with them.

'Que interesante...' Fidel thought. This woman had no shame.

One of his friends pointed out the binibini's mistake but she still seemed clueless. Or was she just acting clueless?

"Isang dalagang... Tila atang walang pakialam sa anuman sasabihin ng iba."

"Bakit? May problema po ba?"

Ibarra explained the situation to Klay and she finally sat at the other table.