I didn't care if anyone heard me.

"I know you're at peace now. . . no longer battling illness. But, I still miss you dearly," I sobbed.

Amidst my tears, someone spoke beside me. I didn't dare look up, not wanting to reveal my vulnerability. Their voice sounded familiar, as if I'd heard it before. I merely smiled and continued to bow my head, as they uttered their words, eh. . ."

While I was crying, someone suddenly spoke next to me. I didn't bother to look at it because I didn't want other people to see me cry. Nagtanong-tanong pa siya. Her voice is so familiar, parang narinig ko na ito somewhere. I maintained my smile, keeping my gaze lowered. His words resonated with me, hinting at a shared struggle in life. All I could do was remain kneeling, too shy to even steal a glance at him.

"Because you won't feel happy and you won't believe in yourself, because you keep thinking you're not good enough-but that's all you're thinking about. What about the people around you who teach you, support you, love you, and feel happy when you're happy too?" she signed heavily, I feel her situation. "Kuya, sometimes you gotta listen to your heart, not just your ears or your head. You might be amazed by how strong you really are."

She's right.

Nagiging selfish na naman ako. Hindi ko na naman iniisip ang ang mararamdaman ng ibang tao.

"Kuya, gumising ka na r'yan." parang batang nanggigising. "Bahala ka 'ryan kapag na-late ka."

Inahalog-alog niya ang katawan ko, pilit ako'ng ginising pero hindi naman ako natutulog. As I listened to their voice, a realization dawned on me: they were right. I needed to connect with the people around me, to feel their presence and share their experiences. I had been selfish, seeking solace only for my own comfort.

Naramdaman ko na may inipit siya sa ilalim ng braso ko at narinig ko na lang ang kaluskos ng takbo nito na palayo sa akin. Nang napagtanto ko na wala na siya sa paligid ko ay dali-dali kong kinuha at binasa.

Hey, I know you're going through a tough time, but remember, try to focus on happy thoughts instead of dwelling on the sadness. You'll overcome this, trust me. Anyway, I'm heading out now. I tried waking you up earlier, but if you want to keep sleeping, that's okay too. Bahala ka kung sasama ka na sa liwanag, pero bata ka pa, a.

-Cute

While reading, a smile graced my lips. Shainny had been a great source of support, and I felt grateful for her presence.

"Thank you so much," I whispered into the wind.

I longed to know more about her-her name, her section, her entire being.

I had thought our paths would never intersect again, but I was proven wrong. As I reached the door, her face came into view, and once more, a smile effortlessly found its way onto my face.

Shainny De Leon.

Her name illuminated my thoughts like a spark of light.

I made it a point to introduce myself to all my classmates, my gaze lingering on her. In jest, I even teased her, which seemed to annoy her.

"Hello, Joaquin," she greeted with a playful smile. I shot her a glare.

Si Lolo nga lang p'wede tumawag sa akin! Kuhang-kuha niya ang inis ko.

Days passed, and life fell back into its usual rhythm. It was Sunday, and I made a choice to enjoy the day, aware that Monday would bring the weight of schoolwork. The weather was pleasant, just right for leisure. I wanted to make the most of the day, savoring this break before returning to the demands of school. Habang nagmamaneho ang driver ng may nahagip ako na pamilyar na babae. Halos sinuklaban siyang langit at lupa.