Stuck In A Moment

Start from the beginning

Victoria pulled him back into a hug, catching him off guard. "Oh, Lou, I'm so glad you've come back to us safely." She gushed, and kissed him on the lips. He gave her a thin smile after she pulled away.

"I'm sorry to have scared you, lot." He apologised.

"No worries, sweetheart. You're safe and back with us." She smiled sweetly, rubbing his arm, and then kissed him once more before leaving as well.

His grandfather stood up from the sofa, his gaze hard on him as he walked towards his presence, jaw clenched. "Don't think I haven't forgotten what we talked about." And with that, his grandfather left, eyes still gazing him until he was out of sight.

___

Louis folded his clothes into his luggage,
getting ready for his trip to Greece.

He was about to spend two weeks travelling to Southern Europe, visiting different countries there. He only ever started travelling outside of England after getting married, and it was quite enjoyable—but yet—tiring, as he hadn't stopped doing so for the past 8 years.

He hadn't known that working as a royal was this enduring, but he sadly had no choice but to do what needed to be done.

Katherine, now dressed in a more casual attire, walked into their bedroom, giving him an affectionate smile.

"I'm going to miss you these few weeks, darling." She spoke, resting her head on his shoulder, wrapping her arms around his waist from behind.

Louis tensed, still not used to her affection after all these years.

She was a beautiful woman, that Louis could not deny, however, the Infatuation he needed to feel for her just wasn't there, even though he had tried persistently to make it seem like it was.

He forced a believable closed-lip smile and replied, "Don't fret. I will be back before you know it." He assured, placing his last piece of clothing in the luggage, and then zipping it closed. He turned around to her and continued to smile.

"I'm still gonna miss you." She frowned, pouting, and then leaned up to kiss him. He pulled her closer, her arms wrapping around his neck.

He tried to sense if he felt any feelings this time, but still, he felt nothing 

Their intimate moment was interrupted by the sound of a dry cough, making them pull away quickly.

His grandfather was standing there, arms crossed, an unpleasant look on his face.

Which, to be fair, was how his face always looked like. It was the reason no one can tell when or not he was happy or angry.

"Katherine, if you could please give us a moment?" He said kindly, gesturing towards outside the room.

"Of course, your Majesty." She bowed, and then left the room, closing the door behind her.

His grandfather walked over to his bed, taking a seat on it, not saying a word.

Louis sighed in annoyance, knowing that when his grandfather would be silent only for a second, it meant that he was preparing what to say in his mind to force him to do.

"What is it you want, grandfather? " Louis broke the silence, asking.

"Have you agreed to what we discussed yesterday?" He asked, and Louis twisted his lips, clenching his fists at his sides.

"Grandfather, I will not, and have not, agreed to have a child. I do not love Katherine. You know how I feel about her." He argued firmly.

"Really? Hm, that's a little unfortunate from what I walked into just a moment ago." He remained.

Louis was aware that he would use that advantage against him. He always used a certain advantage against him to get him to do what he wanted, and that made Louis less oblivious than he was before.

"I've tried everything, Grandfather. I just can't fluctuate my feelings for her, no matter the actions I take, hence, what you just saw. I just don't love her, can't you see?!"

"Then keep trying!"

"No!"

And with that, his grandfather's mood changed quickly, and he rose from the bed and stormed towards him, his nostrils flaring.

Frightened with wide eyes, Louis backed away from him, his back hitting the wall.

His grandfather pointed a sterned finger at him, anger in his eyes. "You dare say no to me, boy!?"

Louis looked at him with fear, wishing he hadn't said a word.

He had always been afraid of his grandfather, not knowing what torturous things he would do to him if he ever disobeyed him.

He stayed silent, not daring to utter another word as his grandfather's eyes bored into him deadly.

I thought perhaps I was wrong to let Louis stand up for himself. He didn't have that much courage as of yet, and therefore, his defensive words got him in nothing but torment.

He thought he was a burden when it came to not fulfilling his grandfather's needs, yet, he felt as though he had a right to speak his truth and how he felt towards the demands that had been given to him.

He had feared ever opening his mouth again, but with no choice in hand, he didn't know what else to do, but he was certainly sticking to his word.

Had he had a choice—a choice for freedom—a choice for normality without nobility, he would take that chance with nothing to doubt.