Chapter 3: Aching

Start from the beginning

He waited for a few minutes thinking to himself before he sighed. "You're right." He looked into Anne's granite eyes, "You wouldn't want me clinging to a memory. In movies, people move on and movies are never wrong." except for War of the Warlocks. The young frog thought to himself as he searched himself for the motivation to get up.

"Nope!" Sprig announced to the world, yet no one in particular, "I can't get up." He turned to face his first friend, his eyes all starry in his classic 'kicked-puppy-plantar' look. "But you don't mind that?" he paused and in her stone silence he grinned, "All right!! More time for goodbyes!!" the pink frog stopped, realizing how weird that sounds, in and out of context.

------

Maddie Flour had been double checking her packing list when Ivy came to the witch's room. "Hey Maddie?" the yellow frog asks curiously, "Do you know where Sprig is? I promised I'd help him pick out a slingshot for the trip but nobody's seen him all day." She spares a glance at the tadpoles bouncing on the bed before continuing in a hushed whisper, "He's going to miss the bucket." Maddie froze.

"He's going to kick the bucket?" Lavender asked, alerting the duo that Ginger, Rosemary, and Lander, the trio of horrid mishap, were indeed listening.

Ivy hesitated, the gears in her head screeching to a halt. She glanced at the blue frog as said frog shrugged. "It wouldn't matter, even if he did." Ivy stared at Maddie, her shock and confusion evident on her yellow face.

Maddie barely looked up to notice the yellow frog's dismay. "What?" She asked, as if her early statement was not at all confusing, "I could just resurrect him." the witch fished out a vial and lifted it up to the light to study before continuing, "I've resurrected a flea and Artie, Sprig wouldn't be very different." she turned to Ivy as she started to argue. "Cause they all bug me." Maddie stared at the Sundew blankly.

The tadpoles stop bouncing.

Ivy blinked.

She blinked again, "Did," the yellow frogs a bit hesitant to question the frog in front of her, as of she'd be taunting death itself, which she promptly is, "Did you just," She attempted to swallow her fear, and maybe her pride, as she continued, "Did you just make a joke?" she eyed the witch, feeling as if she had put her life on the line, which, again, she had.

Maddie simply turned to her siblings, "This," she gestures to Ivy, "is why I don't make jokes." Her slitted yellow eyes are filled with annoyance, making them uneasy.

"Please don't make us clean the cauldron!" Yelled Ginger

Lavender was the one to cry out next "Don't vivisect us!"

Rosemary simply had a traumatized look on her froggy face, "Don't use us as test subjects." all of the other tadpoles nodded in agreement.

"We'll clean the Cauldron!" yelled Lavender as she sped out the room.