She sighs, resting her head on top of mine. "So, what happened?"

I begin with talking about Rowan's part in everything and how it was Jaron and Luca who managed to subdue her in the alleyway. I tell her about Rowan's confession, how it was Grayson who blackmailed her into attempting to assassinate Meg. Meg inhales audibly at this, her breaths turning ragged.

I grip her hand. "It doesn't matter." I insist. "He's just some petty former Courtier trying to regain a false sense of glory. He's nothing."

"He wants me dead, Kay. And he nearly succeeded."

"Not nearly. Not by a long shot." I squeeze her fingers with mine.

She doesn't respond immediately, lost in her own thoughts. "I suppose I owe Jaron a debt for everything he's done for me."

"That isn't even the half of it." I continue excitedly. "He brought his people to the City. All of them. They're helping to rebuild the Wall as we speak."

She stares at me, her blue eyes wide and unblinking. "My gods." She finally manages to breathe.

"It's amazing, Meg. Their warriors have joined up with our army and they're all training under Will. They are teaching Marc about the mechanics of their giant weapons and Cade is showing our physicians how he uses herbs to heal."

She shakes her head back and forth, disbelieving. "This is incredible."

"We are really a force to be reckoned with now." I continue fiercely. "Waster ingenuity combined with Miner technology. Whoever this 'Madam' person is, she has a lot to answer to."

Meg scoffs slightly and her hand flies to her mouth at the sound. I swivel to face her. "What?"

"It's nothing." Her cheeks have coloured a pale pink. "It's just... I see now why Jaron went to so much trouble to help me."

"What do you mean?"

"Come on, Kay. We can't very well refuse to help the Wasters recover their people now, can we? Not after all this." A tiny, sad smile hovers near her lips. "Jaron knows how to recognize an opportunity, I will give him that."

"I think there is more to it." I think back to the look on Jaron's face when Meg lay bleeding in that wretched alley.

"Perhaps he has some semblance of a conscience but I am inclined to believe otherwise. A chief who casts his own people out into the wilds does not make softhearted decisions." She drums her fingers thoughtfully against her chin. "Trust me, Jaron is shrewd."

I huff, unimpressed with her less-than-romantic take on the entire situation.

"What of Rowan? And Penn?" She asks, interrupting my thoughts.

"They're going to be executed." I reply tonelessly.

Her jaw tightens. "Charming." Shaking her head. "That just proves my point. The man has no heart whatsoever."

"They did try to kill you." I point out.

"Rowan was trying to protect someone she loves. She confessed and told us about Grayson; I think that should count for something."

"She wasn't precisely forthright with the details." My protests are half-hearted. As much as I despise Rowan, I don't want to see her killed.

"I need to speak with Jaron." Meg says suddenly, startling me.

"Right now?"

"No! I mean, eventually." She touches her limp hair self-consciously. "I want to thank him and hash out this whole 'alliance' business." By her tone I can tell that she is still doubtful about the Waster chief's intentions.