She had left her car and her gym bag at Matteo's place, rolling her eyes fondly as her boyfriend had whined half-heartedly some more about her leaving. Russo had wanted to meet at this small, but very refined cafe in the centre of Milan, so Calina took the metro in, not wanting to have to worry about driving.

Her psychiatrist was already there waiting, and it made Calina feel bad about being late. Russo only chuckled fondly at her when she rambled about how sorry she was.

"Sono appena arrivata, Calina," the older woman said. "Siediti, per favore. Le ho ordinato un tè, se per lei va bene. Di solito lo prendete in ufficio."

"E perfetto, grazie." A barista brought over their drinks not long after, and as Calina poured the boiling water into her cup, Russo cleared her throat.

"Calina, stai bene?"

She looked up at the woman across from her.

"Si, perche?"

"Calina," Russo sighed, and Calina got the hint that maybe she didn't fully trust her answer. "Giovedì. Ti va bene quello che è successo?"

"Ma, ovviamente no." If there was one thing that Thursday had proved, it was that Calina couldn't truly trust who she thought she could. Aside from her family and close group, she had to be more careful with who knew the whole extent of the truth, and the list of people who did know was very limited. She couldn't imagine Elara or Fiorenzo or anyone else doing that to her, and Marco certainly wouldn't. It all made the whole ordeal even more distressing.

"Onestamente, all'inizio mi ha fatto star male, ma credo che io sto accettando il fatto che ormai non posso farci molto."

"Non sai chi è stato?"

"Non penso di volerlo scoprire."

She hated the way Russo's face fell slightly as she sighed, before taking a sip of her drink.

"Ero davvero preoccupato quando ho visto uscire quell'articolo," Russo said. "Pensavo che sarebbe stato troppo per te, Calina."

"Quando sono diventato psichiatra, uno dei miei primi clienti era un atleta come te, e anche lui si trovava in una situazione simile alla tua."

Russo sighed heavily, her gaze diverting to the bustle of the city outside.

"La sua situazione era quasi identica. Non riusciva a sopportarlo e si è confidato con me, e poi quando un suo amico ha rivelato la sua vera storia."

Calina could see the tears pricking at her psychiatrist's eyes, and her own heart felt heavy for the woman.

"L'ho perso. I suoi genitori mi chiamarono il giorno dopo e mi ci volle troppo tempo per superarlo. Avrebbe avuto tanto successo, ma se n'è andato per colpa di due persone che hanno fatto qualcosa di incredibilmente disumano. Da quel momento ho deciso di lavorare con gli atleti, perché non volevo perdere un altro giovane con così tanto potenziale."

"Sono così fiera di quanto hai fatto." Russo smiled at Calina. "Il modo in cui avete gestito quello che è successo giovedì, non sarebbe stato possibile un anno fa."

"Solo grazie a voi,"

Russo chuckled at that.

"No, anche questo era tu," she said. "Sarai bravissima, Calina. Non potrei essere più onorato di aver lavorato con voi."

Calina had a hunch on where this conversation was going.

"C'è ragione per cui non siamo nel tuo ufficio in questo momento, giusto?"

Russo nodded, her expression a fond sadness.

"Ho pensato che sarebbe stato bene per un ultimo incontro."