(01) The Crocodile

'You know, I don't understand why you keep going down there.' Beetle asked. They were leaning against a fence, with their hands in their pockets.

'Like I understand why Henry does - he wants his family back - but you? Surely it would just wreak havoc with your hair and clothing?'

Ruby said nothing, just fixed her hat and looked up at the sky. Then, as if on cue, David exited the mines followed by Henry.

'Oh, I see.' Beetle remarked. 'You do know he has a wife, right?'

'Yeah, and I'd much rather date her.' Ruby replied smugly, offering Beetle her arm. 'Now, would you care to come with me back to work?'

'I suppose I must, after all I have been thinking about a hot cup of tea.' Beetle replied, taking her arm and walked away towards Granny's Diner.

Beetle nursed the cup of tea in their hands as Ruby scooted into the booth next to them

Beetle was seated opposite a newcomer in town, and had been making conversation with her for several minutes. Luckily they appeared to have quite a few things in common. Ruby had ordered an iced tea, and as she sat down she placed a straw into the drink.

'Bad break-up?' Ruby asked.

'I think it's heading there, yeah.' Belle replied.

'Well, whomever did that to you doesn't deserve you.' Beetle said. 'I mean, I have only known you for about 5 minutes, but I can tell you that you're a wonderful person.'

'Do you need a place to stay?' Ruby asked quietly. 'Any family here?'

'I'm not sure, I'm on my own for now.' Belle replied.

'I can ask around.' Ruby said.

'Yeah, it wouldn't take long.' Beetle added. 'Particularly considering she was the one who had the idea for the flyers, back when the, uh, curse broke. She's very resourceful.'

'Thanks, uh...' Belle started, trailing off when she realised that she wasn't aware of Ruby's name.

'Ruby.' Ruby stated.

'Belle.' Belle replied. 'What I really need, though, is a life. A job.'

'Well, what do you like to do?' Ruby questioned.

'I do love books.' 

'The library.' Ruby said, looking over at Beetle. 'It's been closed forever, but things are changing now. Maybe they need a librarian.'

'I can take you there later, if you want.' Beetle added. 'Also, if you need someone else to help run the library I'd be very much on board!'

 'Also, if you need someone else to help run the library I'd be very much on board!'