He paused. "I'm sorry. I promise this wasn't a heroic act to get you to come running back to me."

"What a shame, it was working."

He scoffed and didn't say a word for a few seconds. "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" You were just joking, you didn't expect him to react this way.

"Why are you calling me?"

"I just wanted to say thank you."

"I can't keep doing this anymore. You tell me to move on, but then you call me out of nowhere and try to jokingly flirt with me. I mean, I don't know what you want. One minute you hate me, the next you're unsure. I just have no idea what to do anymore. What do you want from me?"

"I wanted to say thank you, nothing else."

"Bullshit," he said, and you could hear the frustration in his voice. "You could've just sent me a text."

You went quiet. He was right. You wanted to call him to hear his voice and to see whether or not he'd moved on yet, which you definitely did not want him to do.

"Listen, I'm going to give you an ultimatum to make things easier for you. Either you meet me tonight at my apartment and we work things out, or if you genuinely and truly don't want to get back together with me or even see me ever again, then I'll leave you alone. You won't have to even think of me anymore."

"Kylo–"

"You have until ten o'clock tonight to decide," he said. "Oh, and happy birthday, by the way."

You sighed as the line cut off. Your birthday had just turned from the best birthday ever to the most complicated situation of your entire life. You buried your head in your hands before deciding to go back inside.

Troy told you yesterday to arrive at the location he sent you, today. It was a luxury restaurant and he had given you clear instructions to arrive at seven pm and be dressed nicely, which you chose a short black dress with the heels he had bought you as an apology. You totally and most definitely had no idea what it was supposed to be, surely it wasn't a surprise party for your birthday, that was in no way possible. Troy would never do such a thing...

"Surprise!" Around five people shouted as you walked into the restaurant.

"Oh my god, what?" You yelled enthusiastically. "This is crazy, I didn't even see this coming, thank you so much everyone."

Troy came over to hug you and whispered, "overselling it."

"Yeah," you said. "Thank you, though, really."

"Of course," he said. "I love you and happy birthday."

"I love you too." You pulled away and got a look at the people Troy had invited. You knew you didn't have that many friends, so you were confused as to why there were so many people.

"It's so good to see you again." A girl approached you, and you immediately recognized her as one of your old friends from university, Milly.

"Oh my god," you said as you hugged her. "How are you? It's been so long."

"Well," she said as she showed you her hand. "I'm engaged."

"What?" You exclaimed as you closely inspected her ring. "It's so fucking pretty."

"I know, right," She said.

"Can you stop hogging her, Milly? We wanna see her too." It was another girl from university, Hailey. You looked behind Milly and saw pretty much your entire friend group from NYU. You hadn't spoken to them in years as you had all sort of drifted away, having different career ambitions.