𝟎𝟏, funeral

Start from the beginning

"Amen." Arthur butted in. She saw Ada, Karl in her arms and the look in her eyes, saying she wanted to go home, get away from this grave her husband would be in forever. She saw Tom looking anywhere but the grave or anyone around him. Little Karl was unaware of how sad the occasion was but he would in time and she knew that broke Ada's heart and would have broken Freddie's too.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie. Pestilence took him." She could hear John's little one crying in Esme's arm. John took his littlest one in his arms, shushing him and holding him close as they continued to listen to Tommy's words.

"But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit, to a new generation, before he was cruelly taken." She saw him look at the boy in Ada's arms, seeing not only the Shelby in him but his oldest friend.

Little Carissa was stood in front of Maggie, her mother's arms hung in front of her little frame. She was looking up at her mum every so often. Margaret glanced around at her family.

After a moment of silence, out of respect, the priest finished of the service and everyone started going there separate ways. She saw Ada walk towards her.

"Thanks for coming." Ada thanked with a small, quick forced smile. Maggie nodded at her cousin, she gave her a sweet, sympathetic smile. She had barely noticed Carissa wriggle out of her arms, off to cause some trouble with her cousins. Even though they were her mum's cousin's children (which made them second cousins), the little girl didn't care, they were like siblings and they were her age.

"How've you been." She asked Ada as she let down Karl who ran to his cousins too.

She shrugged, "Not sure. It's quiet, y'know." She kept her eyes down.

She sighed, feeling sorry. The couple were perfect but just never got enough time, "We want you home Ada, so if you feel like you need some noise, there is always home, okay?"

Maggie spoke, she saw Ada scoff a bit, looking up and away. Seeing Ada was about to talk, she cut her off, "London may be where you live and have made a home, and you may want to be free from the madness — and I'm happy for you, we all are. . . but you know Tom and everyone is thinking the same and he will bring it up, no matter the place, that's why I'm warning you and telling you now, even though it might not be the time."

Ada stared at her younger niece, not sure what to say, "Are these your words?" Ada glanced to the ground, when asking.

"Yes. I am happy for you but I'm telling you this because Tom will talk to you if my mum doesn't get to you first. I know you want what you always have, to be out of your brother's grasp, to do what you want, but he wants you and Karl safe. It might not be today but soon."

"You are so Polly's daughter." Ada said, hugging her cousin. Maggie closed her eyes, enjoying the embrace, Ada doing the same. Ada had always been an older sister to her and she was Ada's doll growing up, dressing her up in all the little dresses Ada had found. She had missed her, but she knew Ada needed her own space after spending years trapped in a house full of boys.

As they opened their eyes and pulling away, Maggie caught a familiar figure walking towards the two. "He's coming over." Maggie whispered to Ada. Ada instantly knew who he was. "I'll see you soon, Addie."

"See ya, Mags." Giving her a nod. They both started walking away from each other, Maggie going to see what trouble her daughter had caused. When she turned back, she saw Tom now walking beside his sister.

"Look, look." She heard a little voice coming closer. It was little Carissa with flowers.

"Aww, there- Carissa." She soon realised the only place a child could get flowers at a graveyard, "please tell me you didn't pinch these from the graves." She scolded her daughter. The girl avoided her mother's eyes, "Carissa put them back before nan gives out." The girl turned around running to the graves, putting them back.