Chapter 11: The Fall

Start from the beginning

"Where's Miles?"

Panic rose inside her. Gwen felt her eyes dart across the battlefield as her breathing quickened.

The world felt as if it were spinning around her as she desperately searched for the boy. Her vision seemed to be blurring at the corner of her eyes.

"Scarlet!" she cried.

Ben shot a soldier with his borrowed gun and kicked another down that had advanced on him. He backflipped out of the way of a plethora of gun blasts, then resumed firing at the other soldiers.

"What?!" he growled, "If you hadn't noticed, I'm kinda busy fighting an entire army!"

"I can't find Mi-," she stops herself, "I can't find Spider-man," her voice quivered more than she expected and she attempted to gulp down her nerves.

The Scarlet Spider paused for a moment to glance around, with resulted in him nearly getting struck across the face. He sprang backwards, attempting to put some distance between himself and the clearly mad, scientists.

"I don't know," he said with a grunt as he shoved a man back. He turned and struck another, across the head with his weapon, before resuming fire on the group. "Maybe he's-" Ben paused, his head snapping upward.

"He's up there!" Scarlet suddenly announced. A grunt escaped him as he just barely dodged a gun blast, "I don't think he's doing to hot."

Gwen's head instantly jerked over to where Scarlet had pointed out. There at the very top of the Oscorp building was the red and black-suited Spider-man fighting Olivia Octavius... and losing. Each of his limbs had been pinned down firmly by Doc Oc's mechanical tentacles.

Gwen felt her blood go cold.

Without a second thought she dashed off toward the building. The heroine leapt up and silently thanked her spider spider powers as they allowed her to effortlessly stick to the side of the building.

The girl seemed to have forgotten that the building was one-hundred-eight floors tall and one of the tallest buildings in manhattan. She was gasping for breath the entire way up, but wasn't going to allow herself the luxury of stopping. Sweat trickled down her face, causing her mask to vacuum seal itself to her face, yet she ignored it.

She had to make it up there.

Miles was her best friend- her only friend besides her bandmates- if she lost him, she had nothing.

She scaled the building in record time, practically throwing herself onto the roof.

Gwen found Doc Oc grinning victoriously over the boy, her pearly white teeth standing out against her wrinkled face.

Instead of trying to wriggle free, like Gwen had expected of him, Miles just lay limp on the ground with his mask lenses wide, seemingly frozen in place. He just laid there like a lifeless CPR dummy.

Gwen launched herself forward, allowing her feet to collide with Doc Oc's chest and sending the villain tumbling back. Doc let out a hiss of pain, before letting her grimace change to a grin.

Octavius shot two tentacles forward. Gwen evaded the first by rolling to side, then caught the second, yanking her opponent forward.

Olivia stubbled, attempting to regain her balance and the girl noticed an opening. In one swift motion Gwen pulled her arm back and knocked the doctor the the ground with a hook to the jaw.

"Spider-man, get up!" the heroine yelled as Oliva pulled herself to herself to her feet.

Miles didn't budge.