EJ strummed his guitar once more, and the song ended. Violetta chuckled and clapped for him and Maddox a little, but her smile didn't really reach her eyes. She knew this momentary happiness was going to end.

Kourtney raised her hand in the air. "Um, um, is that really a true story?"

"Oh, that song is basically a documentary," Maddox replied.

Kourtney let out a fake laugh. "Quick follow-up—"

"I actually have a lot of homework, but the amazing Maddox will explain it all," EJ interjected.

Yep. There it was.

Violetta watched as EJ stood up and walked off back to his tent, taking off his guitar in the meantime. Not even a kiss, or anything. In fact, he didn't even spare a glance in her direction at all that entire song. Violetta focused back on the campfire, trying to pretend like the blanket around her would hold together all of the pieces of her that felt like they were crumbling.

"Let's see," Maddox began. "Who here likes ghost stories?"

Many people reacted. Violetta didn't. She then felt an arm get put around her shoulders, and she looked up, seeing that it was Gina. Violetta gave her a sad smile and tucked herself into Gina's side a little.

"Then it's time for you all to hear the story of . . ." Maddox shined a flashlight dramatically underneath her chin. "The Woman in the Woods."

"See, that's a no for me," Kourtney protested.

"Camp Shallow Lake was founded a long, long time ago by a married couple, Mr. John Fine and Mrs. Susan Fine. Everybody loved Mrs. Fine. She was kind. Had a voice like an angel. And she had a sweet tooth, unmatched. She always had a bag of Twizzlers in hand." She stood up. "But tragedy struck on a night a lot like tonight. It was the very first Newbie Initiation Campout night. Legend says Mrs. Fine heard a faint whistling sound deep within the woods." Violetta froze for a moment when a distant noise sounded from the woods. "So, she wandered out there. All by herself."

Maddox suddenly shined the flashlight on Kourtney, and she yelped before gasping, gripping tightly onto Violetta's arm. Violetta comfortingly patted her shoulder.

Ricky raised his hand. "Wait. What did she find?"

"Was it Corbin Bleu's helicopter?" Jet suggested, making most of them laugh.

"No," Maddox insisted. "She was out in the woods for so long, she never came home."

"I know the feeling."

Violetta frowned. All of the others were beginning to giggle and talk amongst themselves, but Maddox seemed like she wanted to continue the story that she so obviously enjoyed.

"Uh . . . well, wait," Maddox continued. "No. Um, okay, so this all happened twenty — I mean, fifty years ago. And, uh, and ever since that night, uh, Mrs. Fine has been wandering the woods, hungry, lost, and angry."

"You guys, am I Susan Fine?" Jet questioned.

Most of them laughed again. Violetta stared at Maddox expectantly. If no one else was going to be willing to listen, she would be. It was evident that Maddox was upset from not telling the story the way she wanted to.

"Um . . ." Maddox trailed off. "Sorry, this isn't how I — it's scary. It's supposed to be scary. Never mind. Sorry."

She then turned around and wandered off into the woods. Violetta stared after her in concern.

"Maddie, wait," Jet called, standing up from his log.

Violetta raised her eyebrows. Maddie? And why did Jet sound so upset when he called after her?