"Uh, Maverick, range control, uh, green range is confirmed," a dispatcher's voice replied. "I don't see an event scheduled for you, sir."

"Well, I'm going anyway," Maverick replied.

"Nice," Phoenix said quietly.

"Sick," Jubilee grinned.

The graduates all sat up in their seats, leaning forward in anticipation and watching the screen with undivided attention.

"Setting time to target: 2 minutes and 15 seconds." Maverick said.

"Holy fuck," Harvard muttered.

"Oh shiiit," Joker said, a smile spreading across his face.

"2:15, that's impossible," Payback said, shaking his head.

"Final attack point: Maverick's inbound."

Then it was silent as everyone watched the computer generated F-18 that symbolized Maverick's position out in the field. He was making his way through the canyon as the timer went down.

He was going fast.

Forty seconds remained as Maverick approached the valley.

"Popping in three... two... one."

Maverick shot up over the valley edge and into the valley.

Everyone began to stand up as the timer got closer and closer to zero.

"Bombs away."

"Come on... come on... come on..." Bolt whispered, her leg bouncing with anticipation. She could barely contain herself.

The timer hit zero and the target exploded, dead on.

"BULLSEYE!" Coyote exclaimed.

"Holy shit!" Bob gasped.

"FUCK YES!" Bolt cheered.

🛩️

IT FELT LIKE THEY'D ONLY BEEN IN FIGHTERTOWN FOR A FEW DAYS.

When Bradley came home, a solemn look on his face, Lea and Kayla knew that it was time. He was leaving to go on the mission.

"I'll be back home before you know it, I promise," Bradley said.

Lea was on the verge of tears.

"I don't even know where it is I'm going, but I—"

"I don't give a shit where you're going, Mr. Bradshaw," Lea said. "Just come back to me, alright?"

Bradley nodded and kissed Lea, pulling her close. "I always do, Mrs. Bradshaw," he said softly.  Lea hugged Bradley tightly, tears rolling down her face.

Kayla joined them, sniffling. "Don't die, old man. I swear, I will stomp on your grave if you do."

"That's awful, Kay," Bradley said, laughing a bit.

"I don't care," Kayla said. "Don't die."

"I won't," Bradley said, kissing the top of Kayla's head. "And force your mom to cook something other than chicken and rice while I'm gone. She's been eating it for the last two weeks."

"I'll try," Kayla laughed as Lea rolled her eyes and wiped her tears.

"I love you both," Bradley said. "So much."

"We love you too," Lea sniffled.

Kayla blinked back her tears and went upstairs to her room, refusing to cry in front of her parents.