Chapter 4: A Visit Before the Bells

Start from the beginning

"Hm, that last bit is debatable, but sounds okay to me," she said, pushing herself off the toilet rim. "Besides, I might be sick like this the whole nine months, or worse."

Bucky smiled, but it was tight around the edges. Things had gotten better when Wanda suggested he do some self-research, and the more books and articles he read, the more relaxed Bucky had been. The knowledge of understanding pregnancy and the change it put on a woman's body began to melt some of his fears, allowing for slivers of hope to creep in. His protectiveness for his soon to be wife and unborn child had grown to a massive proportion.

"Sweetheart, as much as I want to marry you, I feel like we should wait till after the baby," he murmured, helping her stand and guiding her to their bed.

"Absolutely not," Wanda shot back, sitting down slowly. "No. I can do it, I promise." He gave her a pitting look and she bristled. "I've been waiting for this moment and I'm not gonna let little love interrupt that." She placed a hand on her tummy, rubbed a singular circle. "Sorry, baby, not gonna happen."

Bucky took a step forward, cradling her face as his hands angled her neck up. "God, I love you."

"Then marry me tomorrow, idiot. Clint will make sure I don't fall."

He sighed in defeat. "Fine. But you're sitting in-between dances."

"Yes sir."

To help with all her symptoms, Wanda had reluctantly handed over bridal duties to Laura, and Bucky had instructed rather fiercely that everything be done the way his fiancé wanted.

The entire lead up to the big event the next day happened in a whirlwind. Pepper and Laura had truly outdone themselves, and Wanda was forever grateful that she didn't have to decide what they had as food for the venue.

"Don't move, I'll be done momentarily," Laura summered as she focused on Wanda's hair, twisting the strands and pinning them.

Wanda huffed, straightened hair back and looked at her notes in her hand. With all the fuss, she'd barely practiced her vows, and with the ceremony hours away, she was beginning to panic.

"What did you guys say?" she asked, looking in the reflection behind her. Pepper was wrapping their bouquets in baby blue tulle, and she looked up from her task. "For your vows?"

"I think we kept ours short and simple," Laura replied, sticking a pin against Wanda's temple, and she shook her head. "I said something like, 'I never knew what I wanted but then I had you, and the answer was so clear.'"

Wanda beamed. "That's so sweet."

"What about you, Pepper?" Laura asked, not looking away from Wanda's head. "I'm sure Tony said something absolutely out of pocket."

Pepper laughed, standing from her position and walked to stand beside them. "He was...sweet. Out of character, I know, but...he just held my hands and said a few words from the heart." She paused, and Wanda reached out, circling her friend's wrist lightly. She knew how Pepper felt more than most. "And after he'd finished, he had winked and said, 'Hey Pep. You're a Stark now."

Pepper's voice was watery, and the women nodded in an understanding silence. They had all lost so much, between people or time, it was a wonder at all that they could have something as simple as a wedding.

"How long do we have before the ceremony?" Wanda asked suddenly, straightening up.

Laura checked her phone, holding up a curl as she did so. "A little less than two hours?"

"Is Clint busy?" Wanda said, standing as the other women gave her an odd look. "I need him to do something for me."

-

Clint drove quickly and didn't ask many questions as Wanda directed him. In the passenger seat, she rang her hands nervously, glancing out the window before looking down at her dress. Pepper had really outdone herself with the designs; it was covering, the little baby bump nearly invisible, and the sleeves rested right below her shoulders, meeting together in a sweetheart neckline. The fabric was breathable and made it easier for her to move; the thought of dancing in it made her vibrate with excitement.

"Right here," Wanda instructed, pointing to the still-empty lot.

Clint nodded, maneuvering his car and putting it in park. "Let me know if you need help," he said. "But I'll be waiting right here for you. You've got about fifteen minutes before Bucky starts to worry, or worse, thinks you're running away."

"I'm not running away," Wanda assured him softly, hand grasping the door handle. "I just...I need to say my goodbyes."

While still covered with dirt, there was slight vegetation growing in the lot as she stepped into the middle of it. Turning slowly, Wanda took in the ground that was supposed to be her home, gripping her hands tightly.

It had been her home at the time. Maybe in another universe there was one where she and Vision had found this lot and built their life. Raised a family, booked soccer tournaments, sent their boys off to school. Maybe another Wanda was out there, growing old with him. And while she couldn't have that luxury, she knew she was grateful. Grateful for the time she'd been given with him, however little, because it had been real love.

"Hey, Vis," Wanda spoke, turning again slightly. "I don't think I have to tell you what I'm doing here. You either know, or you can't hear me and I'm an idiot and making myself late for my own wedding." She laughed, taking a shaking breath. "The truth is...I love him. I'm having his baby, and...I-I get to be his wife!" Wanda covered her mouth, a watery laugh escaping between her fingers. "I'd like to think you'd be happy for me, as I would be for you. Because...well, Vision, I am so happy."

She stopped, lifting her head to blink away the tears. This was so much harder than she had imagined, so difficult to see where so much beauty could have grown, but didn't. "But please, if you're listening, just remember, however much I grow to love him," She whispered, hand placed on her chest. "I will always love you."

Pressing a hand to her lips, she blew a kiss, then walked back to the car. Clint began to drive back the way they'd come, glancing at her from the corner of his eye.

"He'd be so proud of you, kid."

Wanda nodded her head. "I know."