4: Its Elementary, My Dear Spider

En başından başla

"What, I don't get to meet this contact?"

"Hey, what kind of partner would I be if I let my other half do all the heavy lifting?"

Gah! He hits you with the killing blow, "other half" rolls off his tongue so smoothly, so pleasantly, you're sure you could fall off this rooftop and die a happy woman.

You shake your head, "Fair enough. I'm in Morningside Heights right now. Don't keep me waiting."

"Aye, Aye Captain."

You grin, on to step four.
_

Your leg bounces lazily as you nurse your steaming cup of coffee, freshly purchased from the kiosk downstairs. You'd pretty much pulled an all-nighter, and now you were fighting total blackout as you tried to repair the power connectors on the C.R.A., and grimly recall how they had sparked and bellowed smoke just before your brief meeting with the grant committee.

You glance around the empty lab. Peter was supposed to show up today, what time was it, noon? His absences, although not unusual, were beginning to become a pattern. Your heart sinks, all the work the two of you have done, not only to create the CRA, but to also fix your grades, would be fruitless if he lost interest now.

You put your head down, just to sulk, promising yourself that you won't allow yourself to slip into unconsciousnesses, no matter what. There was plenty of work that needed to be done.
_

"Heyyy, wakey, wakey..." A voice calls.

Spider-Man?

You lift your head up, opening your eyes and blinking slowly. Shit, you fell asleep.

No Spider. Just Peters warm gaze, looking upon you with a pure fondness.

"Pete. You came." You smile tiredly.

"Of course. I'm sorry. I had to run an errand for a friend, got caught up in few phone calls—"

"No, no, you're fine. I just thought you forgot me," you chide.

He takes this seriously though, "I could never forget about you! I've just been so busy— You, the CRA, everything we're doing, it's all so important to me...my priorities have just gotten a bit skewed lately."

You didn't mean to make him feel bad or guilt trip him. It was more so a self deprecating joke. But the way he spoke so sincerely of you and your research, it made your throat heavy with emotion.

You wave your hands, "Peter don't worry, I'm not mad, or anything. I just don't want you to stretch yourself so thin. You're only human."

How ironic coming from you, someone who performed a balancing act everyday with two personas, both hell bent on sacrificing themselves for the greater good.

He shakes his head, "Yeah, of course. Of course," he flips his wrist and checks his watch, "Well it's only 3 o'clock, we have the whole day ahead of us. Let's get to work."

He hands you a fresh coffee, and a brown bag.

This boy had brought you your favorite order from the bodega across the street. Had you no dignity, nor loyalty to the Spider, you would've dropped to your knee and married him on the spot.