Prologue.

Hey, guys! This might be a bit of a surprise considering I didn't mention that I was writing something new. Right now, it's not anything major - just a little side project thing to keep my writing fresh whilst I'm working on my more important stories. But it'll be fun, all the same, I hope!

So here's the prologue! The amazing cover was made by @Synysters_Wife! Thanks Brook! :D

I'd love some feedback, so please vote, comment and let me know what you think!

Enjoy!<3

**

"How do you feel?"

I squinted through the windshield, used the boring outside surroundings as an excuse to keep my gaze to myself. The car engine had come to a stop entirely and left a heavy atmosphere within its confines that didn't sit well with me. It felt threatening, a sense of impending doom that was settling inside of me and tapping away at my brain.

"I feel almost numb," I admitted. "Almost. Kinda pissed."

My cousin beside me nodded, scraped her long, dark hair over one shoulder and tapped her fingers against the steering wheel. She was trying her hardest not to be angry that I was angry, trying her hardest to understand, and to be understood.

"We knew you were going to get caught out at some point, Midge," She said. "You can't stay in Huntington Beach forever."

"Why can't I?" I shot back. "You do."

"Because you're fifteen and I'm nineteen. I'm an adult. Sacramento is your home and Huntington Beach is mine now. That's how it works."

I huffed, jutted my shoulder into the door next to me and tried to my best to bite back tears. I hated it when she took a responsible standpoint, picked and chose when to be the responsible older cousin and when to be the fun one. Only a week before, the four year age gap hadn't mattered. I'd been surrounded by music I hadn't even known existed, people who didn't care for rules or the opinions of others and a broader look at who I could be-who I wanted to be. I hated that I was suddenly the kid again.

"Don't be mad at me, Midgey," Candice then said. "We had nearly an entire summer together. That's something right?"

I stayed silent.

"And, you know, I shouldn't have lied to your parents at all. I was taking a huge risk, lying to them about your whereabouts. Especially for so long. They genuinely believed you were vacationing with your friends this entire time."

"Yeah," I huffed again. "Until you had to ruin it all."

"Things were getting out of hand, kid," She said. "Dangerous."

"Things were fine."