"What?" I ask sharply, an eyebrow raised. He appears to wake up from a trance, blinking several times, before looking at me, seemingly startled.

"I-I just wanted to talk to you," he says, slowly, eyes roving over my face. He-he what? OK, I'm starting to think he's on something because, for whatever reason, he seems sincere.

I give him my best 'are-you-sure-you're-all-there?' look. What is this boy's problem? I figured he'd be glad the potion had completed its effects on me.

"I don't know what you're up to," I say, slowly, eyes on his eager ones" But go away. Please."

His expression changes at my words, and, if I didn't know any better, I'd think that he looks more hurt than I've ever seen anybody be in my entire life. But, come one, people. This is Malfoy we're talking about. The icy Slytherin Prince. He can't feel anything.

"Why?" he asks, adding a hint of that fake hurt to his voice. And the Oscar for Best Dramatic Performance goes to...

"Because you're annoying me, that's why," I snap, almost unable to believe my ears. HA! If he really thinks that this 'little boy lost' routine of his is going to work on me, he's got another thing coming. I've learnt the hard way never to trust a Malfoy. And, therefore, I am going to ignore the fact that he now looks even more hurt.

Sighing in irritation, I return to my reading.

DRACO P.O.V

I sit here in hurt and disappointed silence, watching her. You know, up until recently I'd thought I was a very lucky guy. I have good looks, bags of money, popularity and can instil the fear of God into anyone. But, after yesterday, I'm seriously beginning to doubt that. I mean, how unlucky must you be to fall in love with a girl, realise it and finally get the guts to tell her, only to have her return to hating your guts the very next day. 

Her words shatter my cool façade and leave me despairing. It never quite hit me just how much she hates me, until now. Her honey eyes, which I've seen can be warm and inviting, are cold and filled with loathing.

And it hurts.

It hurts so much I can barely breathe.

HERMIONE P.O.V

A few minutes later...

What is wrong with that boy? Why is he still sitting there?

I look up from my book and glare right into his unreadable eyes.

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" I snap, making my dislike of him plain by dripping it from every syllable. He doesn't appear to react to my words; he just sits there watching me with what I'm sure is a mocking glint in his eye. Oh, for God's sake.

"Fine," I mutter, grabbing my bag and standing up. I push back my chair and walk out, leaving Malfoy still seated at the table.

DRACO P.O.V

I gaze desperately at her retreating back. This little meeting didn't go exactly as I'd hoped, to say the very least. She won't even give me a chance. Just one chance, that's all I need to prove myself to her.

"Damn, mate," comes a male voice from behind me, " You seriously fucked that up! She left so quick, there's skid marks on her chair!"

"Oh, come on, Zabini," a calmer one-Potter-admonishes," It's hardly unexpected; she hates him, remember."

I get up and turn around to see Blaise and Pothe-Potter, I mean (ugh), have now joined me in the section.

"Thanks, you two" I bark, sarcastically. "That really makes me feel a lot better."