| Chapter Seventeen | Lost Love

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to win, you know I'm faster than you now." I said.

"No breathing techniques, just us and our legs." He said.

"Alright." I was sure I'd still win, but maybe he would prove me wrong.

I took off at a run, and it was a lot of effort to not use Total Concentration Breathing. Kyojuro was quick to catch up, and we ran side by side out of the yard and we ran all the way to Kyojuro's home.

Kyojuro tackled me as we entered the yard and we both went down hard. I landed beside him and he laughed. I smiled at his joy. I was probably about to ruin it.

"Rika! Brother! It's nice to see you!" Senjuro said.

"Hi Senjuro!" I said.

Kyojuro and I went inside where Senjuro had dinner made. He might have known Kyojuro was coming, because he had a lot prepared. We sat down and I ate in silence. Kyojuro sat across from me and was watching me closely.

"Rika, you are unusually quiet. Something is bothering you, what is it?" He said.

I glanced over at Senjuro, who looked at me with concern. "It's nothing, just a stomach ache. I think I overdid it with our race earlier."

Kyojuro frowned, and I knew he knew better, but he seemed to let it slide for now.

"Thank you, Senjuro for the wonderful meal!" He said.

"Yes, thanks Senjuro. Kyojuro, let's go to the yard. I want to have a conversation."

He nodded and stood, came around the table and held his hand out for mine. I grabbed it and he pulled me up. We walked outside and I stopped and hugged him. I couldn't resist. I wanted to borrow some of his strength for what I had to say.

"I assume this is about what's bothering you right? You didn't want to talk in front of Senjuro."

"Yeah. I need to talk to you about something. There's been something in my mind lately."

Wings flapped and Kaname landed in the yard, and looked up at us. Not now, Kaname, please. Kyojuro wrapped his arms around me, returning my hug.

"I'm here for you, and I'll help you through anything that's bothering you. I love you, Rika."

"Lord Kyojuro." Kaname said. Both of us looked down at him. "You've been requested, a Hashira is needed."

This was the exact reason I had to do what I was about to do. I looked up at Kyojuro, and he turned to me with a smile.

"Kyojuro, I need to..." I stopped, losing my courage.

Kyojuro leaned back and put a hand on my shoulder. "I have to go, but can we continue this conversation when I return later?"

"Of course." I said with a forced smile.

I knew that this conversation wouldn't happen tonight. I was going to sleep in an empty bed tonight. I had to solidify my resolve. I had to say goodbye to him.

Kyojuro kissed the top of my head and turned to leave the yard. I fought with myself over telling him now, or waiting. Wouldn't telling him now disrupt his focus? I was too slow to decide and Kyojuro left the yard. I walked back into the house, passing Senjuro at the table.

"I'm tired, and my stomach hurts, I'm going to go to bed Senjuro. Kyojuro was called on a mission, so he won't be back in this evening."

"Can I get you anything?" He asked.

I turned to Senjuro and he was watching me with a very worried expression.

"No, that's alright, I'll probably fall asleep right away."