Chapter 3: Company

Start from the beginning

Minako gave a slight hum, "Then what would make you take him on as an official tsuguko?" She asked.

You paused to reflect on what you were thinking about the last time you pondered the question. "Well...if Mori-kun can execute the third form decently, I think I'll take him on."

"Must be challenging to teach someone else," the brunette said quietly.

"It's...an experience," you admitted with a short laugh. "You have to tweak your communication to get through to whomever you teach. I know that form of teaching isn't very common, but it's beneficial to both parties when the student can do what you're trying to teach them successfully, no?"

She tilted her head, humming and looking up in thought. "Well...I suppose so. You seem to be a better teacher than many retired or current slayers... My grandfather was a cruel teacher...but he'd always dote on me after! Haha!"

You smiled at the news, "I'm glad it was that way for you, Minako-chan."

Minako returned the smile, scooting closer, "And what about you? What was your master like?"

You took a moment to think back and smiled wryly at the floor. Memories of the pink-haired man shouting at you from the side as your younger self scowled, hiding your face less you be reprimanded more.

"He was..." you trailed off, laughing off the slight bitterness from those days that surfaced, "...certainly a strict teacher."

You exhaled the negativity and thought back on the other memories you had with him, times of him watching you play the koto with his wife, private performances for her only, and spring days when he let you have tea with him outside in the garden to watch the cherry blossoms sway in the wind.

"But... he's a good man outside of training and lessons. A little rough around the edges sometimes, but he comes around."

Minako brightened at your causal tone coming through, and you even noticed it yourself. She was certainly someone you could feel relaxed and willing to open up to. It could be that her curious and honest nature had that effect.

"That's good to hear!" she laughed, looking back at the garden through the window. "Far too many demon slayers have bad memories about our training days, and I know the circumstances as to why even learning breathing styles is very disheartening..."

She trailed off a bit but then flashed a smile. "It's exciting to learn such interesting techniques, hm? In my next life, I want to run a dojo if possible! Learn all sorts of fighting styles and weapons. Hopefully, by then, we'd have exterminated all the demons, and we could be at peace."

So, Minako believed in reincarnation.

What a pleasant thing to have faith in.

"I hope that happens, Minako-chan."

"Mhm!"

"Taniguchi-sama..."

She huffed, refusing to acknowledge the female housekeeper.

"Not my name!"

"I-I apologize, Minako-sama."

After hearing that, she finally turned to look back at the older woman, crossing her arms. You don't think you can recall her name, so she must have just returned from vacation or a trip. Maybe she went to visit family.

"Yes?" She asked.

The woman bowed her head, "Taniguchi-sama has just arrived from his business trip. I was sent to request your presence at the parlor..."

Minako hummed, "I see. Well..."

You placed a hand on her back, smiling encouragingly. "Why not see him? You know..." you leaned in to get close to her ear, whispering, "he might have brought you a shiny new weapon... didn't you tell me you were talking to him about yari spears...? You know he wants to please you so..."