"what's that daddy?" Aurora said, obviously also intrigued with the many more scars on the other side. Steve could feel himself getting choked up and he didn't want to show his kids that side to him. "loves come over here for a second please" you said, seeing Steve's whole demeanour change. they quickly left Steve and ran over to you, sitting next to you on either side. Steve took this opportunity to run up the stairs and put his clothes on, he felt embarrassed and he didn't know why. the kids didn't feel scared and they didn't say anything rude about them so why was he feeling like this.

you told the kids to sit and watch the tv whilst you went to check on Steve. he'd expressed how he felt about the scars and how Aurora's face made him feel terrible that one time when she saw them and he never wanted them to see them again and now they had, he was definitely going to have to explain them to the kids. you knocked on the door softly and opened it to see Steve sat on the bed, joggers and a jumper on with his head in his hands. "Steve" you said, pulling him out of his thoughts, making him look up at you.

you walked into the room and sat next to him, grabbing ahold of his hand as comfort. he let his head fall to your shoulder as he sighed. "sorry, i should have said we wouldn't be out for long" you said, feeling terrible that you could have caused this. "'s not your fault love, they were gonna find out one day" he replied, feeling your head rest against his. you were both quiet for a minute before he spoke up again. "do you think they were scared of them?" he asked. hearing this made your heart clench. of course his kids weren't scared, they were interested in them more than anything.

"absolutely not. do not think like that because they definitely not scared" you said reassuringly. you hated this. you hated that Steve had a constant reminder of the torture you were all put through and him thinking his kids were scared of him made you hate it more. he sighed before nodding, understanding that his kids were not scared of him, but for him there was still doubt in his mind. what if his kids were scared? what if they had nightmares from it?. you turned your head to the side and placed a delicate kiss on his forehead. "i promise you they weren't scared" you whispered, making him lift his head up and look into your eyes to make sure you were being genuine.

he sent you a small smile and lent in for a kiss which you reciprocated. you'd loved Steve since you were 17 and he was 18. you were the year below him in school and witnessed his 'King Steve' era but no matter what he and his friends did to you, that smile never failed to make you fall for him harder. when your best friend Robin got a job at Scoops Ahoy, you were shocked to see him in the stupid sailers hat, serving ice cream to a mum and her daughter and that's when your relationship with him flourished.

"you wanna come downstairs? the kids wanna watch The Wizard of OZ and Aurora is insisting on sitting next to you" you said, kissing his cheek. he blushed slightly, a shy smile spreading across his face as he replied. "yeah i'll be down in a minute" he said, watching you nod before getting up and walking down the stairs. it didn't take long for Steve to follow you downstairs, seeing the kids on the sofa and you standing over by the VHS player, baby Lottie in your arms. he sat down in the middle of Aurora and Finley, both kids snuggling into his sides as he wrapped his arms around them.

"you mind holding her for a minute whilst i get the snacks and go to the bathroom?" you asked as you walked over to Steve and the kids. he shook his head and had to unwrap his arms from both kids, making them protest against it. "hey, there's plenty of me right go around" he joked, making you laugh loudly as you walked into the kitchen. "daddy" Aurora said as she turned to look at him. "yes Aurora" he replied, boyish smile on his face as he looked back at her. "what are your scars from?" she asked innocently, this was it. this was where he was going to have to explain what happened.

he coughed before shifting uncomfortably in his seat. "well, it happened to me when i was 19. i had to go fight this bad guy but before i could get to him i had to fight these bats. they were so scary. there were about four of them and they fought me basically" he said, lifting up his shirt to show the scars, one arm holding Lottie upright. he didn't want to go into to much detail where it scared them for life but just enough that they fought was definitely enough. "woah daddy. that's so cool" Aurora said, her small hand going to stroke the scarring gently. "did it hurt daddy?" Finley asked shyly, hand also going to stroke the scars.

"yeah they did for a bit but not anymore" he replied, smiling at the two kids who stared at the scars fascinated by them. "your daddy is a hero" you said, walking in with a variety of snacks which you placed on the coffee table in front of them. "daddy saved the world with Uncle Dustin" you carried on, smiling at the two kids as you sat down next to Finely who's hand was stroking the ridges of the scars softly, scared he was going to hurt his dad.

"daddy saved the world? daddy's a superhero" Aurora said excitedly as she looked at the two of you. "i wanna be a hero" Finley said after Aurora, turning to look at you, his hand never leaving the scars. Steve felt his eyes full with tears. here he was worrying his kids would be terrified of the scars littered across his body but they were fascinated with them that they loved them. "okay i wouldn't call me a superhero" he laughed, his emotions almost getting the best of him.

"but you are daddy, you saved the world so you're a superhero" Aurora replied to him. "daddy most definitely is a superhero in my eyes" you said to her, making his heart fill with love. a type of love he'd never felt before. he felt a few tears fall down his face as he looked at you, a smile placed on your lips as you looked at him. you let your hand find his cheek and wiped the tears away, Steve wasn't one to show his emotions often so for him to do this made you feel proud. he was finally showing his emotions instead of masking them.

"thank you" he mouthed to you as your hand stroked his cheek softly, your smile growing wider. "daddy, do you think you could tell us more stories" Aurora asked, Finley agreeing immediately. Lottie babbles loudly as she looked around at the four of you, making your attention turn to her. once she realised all eyes were on her her face turned neutral for a minute before she giggled loudly making all of you smile and laugh along with her. "okay fine, what do you guys want to hear about?" Steve said, breaking the laughter. you watch Steve start telling the kids about how he helped Dustin and Lucas save Max, their hands still rubbing the scars gently, your eyes full of adoration for him. you were proud that he told the kids about his scars and you loved their reaction. Steve was definitely destined to be a dad and you loved watching how he interacted with the kids, you knew Steve was definitely going to come out of his shell more now that they knew and you loved it.