He struggled to reach over to the tray that I'd set on the rolling table.

"Oh." I muttered, pushing the table closer to him.

"Thanks, kid." His voice was kinder than when he first talked to me. I wonder what happened to him.

I nodded then turned to leave. He didn't say anything else to me as I hurried back to the cafeteria. I felt kind of sympathetic, a feeling I really never witnessed. I actually wanted to help him more, make sure he was okay, and be certain that he had whatever whenever he needed it. I've never really felt this way before for anyone.

I sent a few more deliveries and saw other sickly people. Some were sleeping whilst others were staring at the TV. There were even some patients that weren't doing anything. They'd stare at the wall and mutter a 'thank-you.' I felt extremely terrible for every one of them. Although, none had given me the impact of the little girl's room I had entered.

I assumed she had a non-contagious disease but it seemed pretty serious. She had another person in the room which I assumed to be her mother. She was sleeping and the girl was just playing with some dolls. I thought she was maybe in the ages of six to eight.

Once I'd given her the food for the night, she made a sour face. I smiled at her. She returned it, but didn't dare touch the food that was set on the tray for her benefit.

"Thank you!" She waved as I turned to leave.

"You're welcome," I answered, returning the gesture back to her.

She looked back to the two Barbies she held in her hands and continued playing, not giving the food a second look. I'd wished I could go to McDonald's or something and buy her a meal she'd actually want to eat instead of the junk they serve here.

I mean, the rest of the cafeteria staff do try and make the food appetizing, but there's so much food to make, it's hard to try and perfect each and every dish. And then there are so many patients... It's a difficult task to provide for all these people.

"Oh, Kyle! Did you serve them all?" Lorenna questioned as I'd entered the kitchen quietly.

I nodded.

"Well, your father should be here soon, I guess. So you could go out to the parking lot. Misty, Patty and I will clean the rest of this up." She looked around the kitchen.

"Sure?" I looked around also; there wasn't much to really do except for wash some of the tables, dishes, and trays.

"Of course, sweetie. Go ahead." She ushered me out of the kitchen area.

I told her and the rest goodbye, and then strolled out of the doors to meet my dad. When I was walking passed the front desk, I'd noticed Jeann sitting with her glasses pushed down to the tip of her nose. She was studying something held in her hands, her eyes squinted.

"Goodnight, Jeann," I smirked, knowing she hates it when I talk to her.

She grunted in response, not taking her eyes off it's occupied position.

I chuckled and the automatic doors opened. The night sky was a dark shade of navy blue, letting a million stars light the sky. My dad's car was parked against the curb. He was scrolling on his phone, probably reading an email or something. I opened the passenger door and swiftly took a seat.

"Good day?" he asked.

He could honestly care less about my day from the tone of his voice.

"Sucked," I mumbled.

He looked up at the road as he heard the sound of my seat belt being secured and buckled. He put his left hand at the top of the wheel while his right still held his cell phone.