I had the instinct to go towards her and hug her. So that's what I did. I slowly made my way around the table, then kneeled next to her left side and urged her to look at me. She hesitantly did so.

"You're not going to be ugly, okay? No matter what, you're never going to look ugly. And chemo's good for you. People will know that you're strong enough to do it. They'll think of you as... a fighter."

She let a tear fall and quickly swiped it away.

"It's going to be good, okay?" 

She looked away. I got up and hugged her. It wasn't awkward like I thought it'd be. She actually hugged me back. I never hugged anyone like this. I never even hugged a girl besides my mom I don't think. It was nice.

"Can you help me through this? There's not many people that I have that are around." I could hear the scared tone in her voice. She didn't want to hear me say no. I wasn't going to say that anyway.

"Yeah." I answered.

It was quiet for a moment, until she hugged me tighter. The question made me feel like she had no one to lean on and I was the only one here. That was a lot of pressure. I wasn't sure if I was going to be enough for her.

"Thanks, Kyle." She sighed while resting her head on my shoulder.

I didn't answer. I just stayed quiet. I honestly didn't want this moment to end for some strangely odd reason. But it did. After about ten minutes, she left back to her room.

Once I got back to the kitchen area, I knew Misty would interrogate me, so I kept my distance from her. I wasn't really up for her chirpy love-struck attitude for me. It got quite annoying and as much as I hate to say it, she was starting to become more correct every time I'd see Gwen.

I didn't want to think about it. I wasn't really fond about this whole cancer deal. So if Gwen did chemotherapy, wouldn't she get sicker? She probably wouldn't be able to come down here anymore and she'd need some people to take her her food.

Then I started to think about worse things.

I've seen those movies where the girls or guys get cancer and stuff and they end up dying after doing chemo. Does that mean she'll die? No. That can't happen. She's too good to die. The world needs more people like her. That won't happen to her. I know it won't. She's strong. She'd fight. I know she would.

Later, around dinner time, Lorenna asked me to send some trays to some rooms. I'd never done this before. I was actually quite nervous and confused. I was nervous because I didn't want to get sick or anything. I was confused because she never ordered me to do this.

"There aren't many people here today. Heidi and some other staff usually help out but some called in. I need to send these." Misty said after I had asked her.

"But what if I get sick or something?" I questioned, wide-eyed.

"You won't, Kyle. You aren't serving to the severe patients, only the non-contagious patients. Now hurry, you don't want them to starve to death," she said, pushing me. I wanted to say 'no pun intended' but decided against it, knowing I'd receive annoyed looks.

"Aren't nurses supposed to do this?" I mumbled.

I hurried to the floors she'd told me. They were the lowest levels so I wasn't rushing much. I entered one room with a man who was staring at the TV. He looked absolutely miserable. He was missing one leg and his left hand. I slowly walked in and he restlessly turned to me, staring curiously as I awkwardly made my way toward his rolling table tray.

"Why isn't Tiana giving me my food?" he demanded.

"I-I don't... know... some of the- uh... staff didn't come in today..." I stuttered. He kind of freaked me out with the way he looked at me.