No one spoke, no one moved, all waited for the shout that their deceit had been discovered. Minutes pulled, stretching impossibly long, muscles cramped, jaws clenched. When at last the sounds of horsemen faded completely, the very air relaxed.

They were safe?

###

Andreas le Pierre gritted his teeth, his sister was right; he should have left it to his men to track down the cuckold and the whore.

Another wave of nausea rolled from his stomach, he swayed perilously in his saddle.

Tobin, his sergeant, rode close, grabbed his masters jerkin, holding the man upright. "Messire, will the capture of these felons be worth a broken back?"

At that le Pierre turned violently and spewed his guts on to the road. His mount reared, Tobin grabbed the reins, urging, with soothing voice and strength, the frightened animal back under control.

The band of riders halted, milled about unsure. In truth they had all drunk and eaten their fill at the abbey. They had expected a night of warm, pleasurably filled beds. The prospect of chasing through the forest in the dark hours suited none of them.

Le Pierre looked up, lightening struck a pain filled path across his brain, he swooned.

The sergeant huffed. Their lord may be a merciless, arrogant bastard, but he was still just a boy led by his cock. Tobin gave the order to return to the abbey. Let the lady abbess nurse her brother; he had no intention of doing it.

###

"How long should we hide?" Tom whispered to Blount.

"We're not hidin' boy, 'tis but a tactical contrivance to avoid an ill advised fight," the older man said with mock severity.

Sir Robert gave a short laugh. "Aye, 'tis that. We wait."

Haddie was getting cramp, she wanted to piss, but not in a thousand years would she make complaint.

The fearful noise returned, horses slower this time.

What had made them turn no one cared, they were no longer being pursued, that was what mattered.

Still Sir Robert made them wait a good hour before rising himself and stretching his long limbs. "We will take the forest paths from here, set a respectable distance between us and the road." The knight turned to the other travellers, he grimaced and rubbed at his stiff knee. "Then we should be safe enough from discovery I think."

###

The trackways were twisting and uneven, sometimes just wide enough to let the waggon pass. Parts were steep and smooth as ice, but mercifully dry. All the men hauled and pushed to raise the cumbersome wain, Haddie hung on guiltily. She tried to get down to help, but was met with Sir Robert's immediate reproof, 'stay where you are woman, what earthly good do you think you would be?"

It seemed an eternity till at last they stopped in a small clearing. The knight and his sergeant surveyed the area and both declared it safe as could be.

Haddie pulled the coverlet tighter about her as she stood unsteadily. In other circumstances she would have noted and admired the rich cloth and fine workmanship, but now she saw it only as cover for her nakedness.

Smiling Blount held up his arms to assist Haddie down.

That was all it took, the kindly smile on his warrior's face. Haddie burst into tears, launched herself into his arms, hanging on to her drapery and weeping full sore. Try as she might, no coherent words formed, only stuttered half sounds, hiccups, and wails.