"What— wait, I'm riding with you?" You certainly didn't anticipate having to share a car ride with Osamu, especially since you could barely stand being in the same room with him.

"Why not? My place doesn't have much parking, it's easier if you just ride with me. I'll take you back to your car afterwards, promise."

"No offense Miya, but your promises don't hold much weight with me." You spit, a little more bitterly than you intended.

Ouch— it stung for him to hear those words, but he understood the meaning behind them.

"Please."

You gaze into his gunmetal eyes quizzically, searching for any hint of potential misgivings— instead only finding a pleading glance of... remorse? It's a look you don't recognize from Osamu, but you can't help but give in to his request.

"Fine." It's all you can muster as you motion your hand out infront of you. "Lead the way."

The drive to Osamu's place was awkwardly silent

The drive to Osamu's place was awkwardly silent. Neither of you had tried to make small talk, or any form of communication. It was apparent that if you weren't busy insulting each other, you really didn't know what to talk about. You sat nervously with your palms folded into your lap, gazing out the window as the busy streets passed by with a blur.

Miya rhythmically tapped his fingers along with the beat to whatever song was blaring through the speakers— both of you agreeing that playing some music would be better than simmering in deafening silence.

Maybe this was a bad idea; you were almost positive of that with each streetlight that directed you closer and closer to your destination. Any type of relationship with Osamu just couldn't work, there was too much bad blood between the two of you. How were you just supposed to grin and bear it when every waking moment you're around him, you're reminded of...

how he broke your heart.

It seems stupid— to still be hung up over some fleeting high school crush, but Osamu was more than that— he was your best friend first. It's funny to think about it now, given how much you despise the man next to you; you never would've guessed that this would be the outcome.

Truthfully, you would have been fine with the fact that he wasn't into you in that way, had he not decided to completely embarrass you in front of the entire Inarizaki volleyball team. Suna even got the whole thing on video, for god-fucking-sake. You couldn't show your face in school without one of them teasing you for it, making the rest of your high school experience a living nightmare.

Osamu made an attempt to apologize some time after, but the damage had already been done; from that moment on, Miya had become public enemy number one.