After the meditation they sat at the table staring at their plates. The conversation was slow and dry. Everyone focused on their own thoughts.

"So I guess we have a trip to plan." Jinpa said, looking up. Kyoshi nodded. "I was thinking that we would head to the royal palace first, visit the fire lord and see how he's dealing with all this. I'm sure he's getting letters about the matters as well."

"That sounds like a good first step. Then maybe we could proceed to move out to the other clans and islands." Kyoshi added.

They both turned to look at Rangi who was unusually quiet. "Any suggestions?" Kyoshi asked. "I was thinking that maybe we would swing by the earth kingdom first, you know check on things over there." She said, looking down toward the table. Kyoshi scanned Rangi's face. She refused to make eye contact, and just continued to stare at her plate, her hands resting in her lap.

"Jinpa, can you give us a second?"

"Sure why not? Anything else I can do for you?" He replied sarcastically as he turned to leave.

"Rangi I have to go to the Fire Nation, I can't just leave all those people to deal with these possible dark spirits."

"I know I know, and I'm not letting you go alone," Rangi replied coldly. Kyoshi tilted her head. "Last time wasn't exactly a walk in the park. But it's just..."

"Look everything is going to be fine-"

"But what if it's not?!" Rangi exclaimed looking up.

"We've dealt with this sort of thing before, everything is going to be fine"

"Will you stop saying that?!" Rangi snapped. "You don't know that okay?" She yelled, turning around.

All the blood drained from Kyoshi's face, she was stunned. She felt tears building in her eyes. Did Rangi not feel safe, like she felt she couldn't protect herself? Or like she couldn't protect her.

"What's this really about?" Kyoshi asked, her voice slightly shaking. "A part of me is missing..." She started. Still with her back turned. Kyoshi didn't know what to say.

"It just feels like this part of me...I don't know, it feels like I don't know who I am anymore."

"I just feel so lost, and confused, and I..." She took a breath before continuing and she turned around facing Kyoshi.

"I have standards to uphold, someone of my rank can't be seen in the fire nation in this condition." She said in defeat.

"I just feel like such a failure"

Kyoshi bit her lip as she processed what she was saying. "None of us think that you're a failure."

"Really then what would you call this?!" Rangi exclaimed, slamming her hands down on the table. Kyoshi continued to stand there in shock.

"All my talent and skill has boiled down to first year's at best. At best Kyoshi!" She yelled, suddenly grabbing the hem of Kyoshi's tunic.

"Rangi, you know you are much more to me than just your fire bending right?"Kyoshi asked, taking her hands.

"We can take this at any pace, we can get up at dawn if you want, or we can train until the stars are dancing in the sky... either way, I will do anything to help you."

"Anything?"

"Anything, but I do think we should talk to your mother about this. She might be able to help."

"But what if she mad, or-"

"She'll be happy you're healed"

Rangi buried her face in Kyoshi's chest, as they stood there. Kyoshi looked out the window into the starry night. For the love of Rava, if I'm not strong enough to deal with the fire nation, or the dark spirits, please let me be strong enough to protect her.

They had sent a letter to Rangi's mother that night, as well as the Fire Lord announcing their trip, and when they planned to come. As the time of their departure neared Rangi seemed to grow to like the idea of returning to the fire nation more. She was excited to see her mother again, though a bit scared at the same time. But Kyoshi could be right. She just might be happy that she's safe.

Although they had a very strong relationship, it wasn't necessarily the most traditional. When you're the Headmistress's daughter you are excited to be the best, nothing less. You can't afford mistakes, no bad behavior. All eyes are constantly on you. Anything and everything you do will reflect upon your mother, your family name, both the good and bad.

So for Rangi graduating early was more less just expected of her. No heads even turned. It was just expected. Everything she did just felt like it was expected.

Kyoshi however. She wasn't part of the plan. Guarding the Avatar yes, falling for her no. But it was possibly the best thing that ever happened to her.

"Have you ever tried counting all the stars?" Kyoshi asked as they sat in bed with the comforters wrapped around them. "I can't say that I have."

"Have you?"

Kyohsi gave a light laugh. "At least a thousand times, can't say I ever got that far though"

"All those nights in Yokoya, I always tried to count the stars. But eventually I gave up"

"What made you give up if you already spent all that time on it?" Rangi asked. "Well I used to do it to take my mind off of things, but now it feels like there are some better things in my life that I can think about" She smiled.

"You're not slick you know" Rangi replied, rolling her eyes.

Just then a hawk landed on the window sill, Kyoshi got up leaving the nest of blankets to retrieve it. Her eyes widening as she opened it. "What's wrong, is everything okay?"

Kyoshi walked back over and sat on the end of the bed, Rangi crawled across leaning over her shoulder to read the letter. "Well the good news is that I don't think anyone else is hurt at the moment" She said, rolling back the letter. Rangi let out a sharp exhale of disapproval.

"But..."

"But I think our trip may be a little more complicated."

"Complicated?" Rangi snatched the scroll and examined it closer for herself. "It seems you've become quite popular," Rangi responded sarcastically.

"So popular I'm warned not to come"

"Are you nervous?" Rangi asked. She noticed Kyoshi's leg shaking slightly. "Nope" she tried to give her a sure smile.

"If you say so" Rangi responded, taking Kyoshi's hand.

As Kyoshi started to drift off that night she couldn't help but think about the fire nation. How did they know she was going to come? The only people they told were Hei-Ran and the Fire lord, they probably heard through the servants which made it's way to the locals, she thought. It didn't matter if she was welcomed or not she still had a job to do.

She was the Avatar she had duties to perform, tasks to uphold. She couldn't back down, she wouldn't back down. She would stand her ground.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed. I really excited about these next chapters, I'll have them out soon. Promise ❤️ As always feel free to leave suggestions or comments