Chapter 17

Sunday arrived and just after the darkness spread Aiko made her way down to the bottom of the garden. She'd already scoped out the fencing area to find the best place to climb.

Beyond the fence was a small woodland; where it led, Aiko had no idea, but Baji was familiar with the layout and had already texted to say he was waiting.

The fence must have been ten to twelve feet high, but Aiko had always been nimble from gymnastics training as a child, and with the extra dojo sessions scaling the fencing was easy work.

"She's over here," a voice called, and a smiling face emerged from behind a tree confirming who Aiko already knew it was.

"Chifuyu," she called back, rushing over and wrapping her arms around him. "I've missed you."

Chifuyu chuckled as she scruffled her head against his. She really had missed him in the same way you might miss a younger brother.

"I think you've got your arms wrapped around the wrong boy." Baji's deep voice came up behind her as his arms slid around her and lifted her into them.

Aiko wriggled herself free before turning to face him and pushing herself back into him. "God, I've missed you," she said. "So much."

"Me too," Baji said and snuggled his face into her neck before planting a dozen kisses along her face.

"So that's what it means to be showered with kisses," Aiko laughed.

Baji laughed with her. "Come," he said, taking her hand and leading her away from the school's yard. "I've got a surprise for you."

Aiko followed Baji down to the roadway where their bikes waited.

"Yay," she cheered, which made Baji laugh again. "I'm not gonna lie," she continued. "I've missed your bike. almost as much as I've missed you."

"Maybe you can take me for another ride later," he said as he climbed on.

Aiko climbed on behind him and wrapped her arms around him with a whisper of I've missed you into his back as she rested her head against him.

It was a quiet ride along country roads that separated woodland behind the school's land from vast fields.

Baji was in his usual spirits, humming as he drove until he called back to Aiko, "Close your eyes," he said. "I have a few surprises for you tonight."

Aiko closed her eyes as a smile lit up her face. She was already sure she knew what the first surprise would be on account of having to close her eyes.

Baji ordered her to keep her eyes closed shortly before pulling over. Then he put a hand over her eyes and helped her down from the bike and down a small hill.

"No peeping," he said into her ear as he walked behind her until he came to a stop. "1, 2 ..."

"Happy Birthday," Emma and Yui shouted.

"I knew you guys would be here," Aiko said as she rushed over to grab them both into a hug and after the longest hug turned to the rest of the group which consisted of Daichi, Mikey, Draken, Mitsuya, Hakkai, Smiley and Angry.

Mikey gave a small wave from the centre of the group who were all sitting on a blanket spread with food. "Happy birthday, Aiko-chan," he said, with his usual smile.

It had been a long time since she'd had a birthday party, let alone a surprise one. "Thanks a lot, guys."

This could go down as one of Aiko's best surprises ever and she was sure it would be her best birthday party ever. Aiko took her seat next to Baji and they passed around food and drinks and told stories.