Chapter 1

"Keep going."

18 year old [Y/N] sighed as she sat in the back seat of her mom's Rover, leaning her head against the window, looking at the scenery of California rush by. The Emerson family had just moved from Phoenix, Arizona and were relocating to Santa Carla, California. [Y/N]'s mom had divorced her husband and had taken [Y/N] and her two brothers, Michael and Sam with her.

"Hey, I liked that song." Lucy Emerson, [Y/N]'s mom said. [Y/N] smiled lightly. 

"Keep going, Mom." [Y/N] said. Lucy sighed and switched the radio station. 

"How about this?" Lucy asked. 'I don't see any bogeymen or nasty guys.'  

"Keep going." The siblings said. 

"You want to switch the band?" Lucy asked. 

"Keep going!" Sam, [Y/N]'s younger brother said. Lucy gasped and smiled, hearing a song that she recognized. 

"Wait. That's from my era!" Lucy said. "Grovin' on a Sunday afternoon!" Lucy sang along with the song. [Y/N] chuckled lightly at her mom. Lucy was what some would call, a free spirit. Lucy was originally an Ex-hippie. She was really comfortable with herself and didn't really care what other people thought of her. [Y/N] looked over when she felt someone nudge her gently. She looked over at Michael, who gestured to a sign. They looked to the back of the sign and saw the words, 'Murder Capital of the World'. Chills went down [Y/N]'s spine. And not the good time. Lucy smiled at the sign as they passed it.

"We're almost there." Lucy said. Sam rolled down the window. [Y/N] gagged lightly, plugging her nose.

"Sam! Roll up the window! God, what is that smell?!" [Y/N] asked. Lucy took a deep breath in.

"Ah! That's the ocean air!" Lucy said, smiling. Sam scrunched up his nose.

"Smells like someone died." Sam said. Lucy sighed.

"Guys, I know the last year hasn't been easy, but, I think you're really going to like living in Santa Carla." Lucy said. The family stopped at a gas station. Sam took his dog, Nanook, out to stretch his legs. 

Nanook is a Alaskan Malamute, who was extremely protective of Sam and [Y/N]

Lucy was pumping gas into the Rover. [Y/N] was leaning against the side, taking in the action around the gas station. Sam ran back to the car from where he had been looking around, a big smile on his face.

"There's an amusement park right on the beach." Sam said. Lucy looked over at two runaway teenagers rummaging through a nearby garbage bin for something to eat. [Y/N] sighed and brushed some sweat from her forehead. The California heat was nothing compared to the heat in Arizona. However, that didn't mean that it wasn't hot in Santa Carla. Lucy turned to Sam and [Y/N], handing the two some money.

"Sam, [Y/N], tell those kids to get something to eat." She said. As the two walked over to the two teens, Michael was talking to a person.

"Any jobs around here?" Michael asked. The person shook his head.

"Nothing legal." The person said. Sam and [Y/N] handed the two teens the money, which the teens graciously took.

~~~~

A little while later, Lucy was driving up a rocky and dusty winding road. Michael was riding behind them on his Honda motor bike. Lucy pulled up to an old lodge-like funky house. There were totems poles and other trinkets laying around the house. [Y/N] opened the passenger door. The house really hadn't changed much since she and her brothers had been there last. Sam got out as well, opening the front passenger door. He looked back at Nanook.

"Come on, Nanook." Sam said. The dog gave a bark before getting out of the car as well. On the porch of the house, they saw a human figure laying there, motionless. The figure in question was Grandpa Emerson, or Grandpa as he preferred to be called.

"Dad? Dad?" Lucy called, the four family members walking up to the porch. [Y/N] frowned.

"Looks like he's dead." [Y/N] said. Lucy smiled back at her daughter.

"No, he's just a deep sleeper." Lucy said, turning back to try and wake her father. Sam smiled.

"If he's dead, can we go back to Phoenix?" Sam asked hopefully. [Y/N] glared at Sam and smacked him in the shoulder.

"Ow! What?" Sam asked, looking at his sister. [Y/N] just rolled her eyes. Grandpa opened his eyes and looked up at his three grandchildren.

"Playing dead. And from what I heard, doing a damn good job of it, too." Grandpa said. Lucy smiled.

"Dad! Oh dad!" She said, leaning down and giving her father a hug. The three siblings shared a look.

[Y/N] grabbed some boxes from the rover, bringing them into the house. She looked around.

"This is a pretty cool place." She said, looking around. Stuffed animals hung on the walls of the house. Sam looked around, not very convinced.

"Yeah. For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." He said. Michael looked back at his brother.

"Come on, Sam, give Mom a break." Michael said. He walked into the living room, setting down some boxes he was carrying. He lifted the dumbbells he had been carrying. Sam looked at his siblings.

"What's wrong with this picture? There's no TV. Have you seen a TV? I haven't seen a TV," Sam said. [Y/N] set some of the boxes down and rolled her eyes. "You know what it means when there's no TV? No MTV." Sam continued. [Y/N] scoffed.

"Sammy, we are flat broke." She said. Outside, Grandpa was helping Lucy unload more boxes.

"Lucy, you're the only woman I ever knew who didn't improve her situation by getting divorced." Grandpa said. Lucy sighed.

"I know. But a big legal war wasn't going to improve anybody's situation. We've all been through enough. [Y/N], Michael and Sam had leave all of their friends behind," she said, setting down some boxes. "Anyway, I was raised better than that." She said.

"I choose this room!" [Y/N] shouted, walking into a large room to the left of the large hallway. Sam groaned.

"Aw! Hey! This was going to be my room!" Sam protested. [Y/N] stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"Ya snooze ya loose, bud." She said. [Y/N] sighed as she closed the door and set down the boxes she had packed. She started with the box labeled, 'Posters and Books'. She opened the box and took out the posters of her favorite bands, hanging them up around the room. After putting the posters up, she took out the books she had packed, setting them up on the bookshelf in her room. She then took out a small picture frame. The picture inside was of her and her two best friends in Phoenix. She gently pressed a kiss to the glass frame. "I miss you guys already." She said quietly to herself. Today was the start of a new chapter for her and her family. A chance at a new start.

~~~

//Here's chapter 1. I apologize if it's short. I hope you all like it.//