Alithea, 17

"Brat-face hasn't finished doing her make-up," I say as I come down the stairs and into the kitchen where Mum and Arianwen are.

"For goodness sake!" Mum growls, walking over to the kitchen door, "OLIVIA!"

"COM-ING!"

"Who's brat-face?" Arianwen asks innocently.

"Oli-"

"Alithea," Mum warns me. I shoot her an innocent smile and grab a cloth to wipe Arianwen's breakfast off her face.

"Mum!" Carmen calls, running up the hall, "we've got to go! We're so late! Alithea, promise you'll write to me and tell me all about it?"

"Promise!"

Carmen grins and runs out to the car.

"Alright," Mum says, turning to Ari, "ready to hop in the car, bub?"

"I am not a baby," Arianwen retorts, sliding off the chair.

"Right, sorry," Mum sighs, "come on, quick! You coming, Lith?"

"Uh, no, I'm meeting with Luke," I reply, looking at the time. Mum stops and looks back at me.

"Luke Wood?" She asks, raising an eyebrow, "Oliver's nephew?"

"Yeah, that one," I answer, "we were going to go job hunting together."

"Oh yeah," Mum smirks. I feel my cheeks heating up and put on a defiant expression.

"Not like that," I retort, "we're just friends."

"Yeah, I was just friends with your Dad at one point too," she says teasingly.

"You've got, like, twenty minutes," I tell her, "go already!"

"OLIVIA! CAR NOW!" Mum yells up the stairs.

"GIVE ME A MINUTE!"

"WE HAVEN'T GOT A MINUTE!"

Olivia comes running down the stairs, smothered in makeup and looking utterly ridiculous. I know she's stolen my makeup to do this and it makes me furious, but I push the anger away and smirk.

"You're a witch, not a clown," I tell her.

"Shut up!" Olivia snaps.

"Girls, stop," Mum says, "Olivia, you look ridiculous. You're fifteen! You don't need that much make-up for a train trip."

"Yeah, people will just think you're cheap," I add scathingly.

"Well, I don't want to end up like you," Olivia scowls, "old and alone."

I open my mouth, but Mum steps between us, holding her hand up to silence me.

"Get in the car," she says to Olivia, "you can wipe it off on the way to the station."

"But Mum! I got up two hours early to do this!" she protests as they walk outside.

"I don't care, you know the rules," Mum tells her, "you would have spent your time better sleeping."

"Or practising your juggling," I add.

"Not helping," Mum growls, getting into the car, "behave with Luke!"

"I will!" I say. I wave them off, then turn and sprint into the house, straight up to Olivia's room. I grab my makeup and go into the bathroom. I pull my hair back and start working on my face.

Half an hour later I head out to meet Luke. We've been friends for the last couple of years and I always hoped we'd turn into more. He sent me an owl the week after we finished school and we've been writing back and forth ever since. I brush my hair behind my ear as I walk into the Leaky Cauldron, looking around for Luke. I spot him in a corner and walk over. He sees me as I approach and stands to meet me.