Chapter One

Chapter One

"See you bro, good to have you home," Cal said, pulling Jake in for a man hug, "Enjoy tonight."

Callum's cunning attempt at humor gained him a dig in the ribs from Joey, "Cal! Jeez, one track mind or what?" They stepped back from the car, waving as Jake's mom pulled away. Jo shook her head, grinning at her boyfriend.

"It's the truth; he's in for a hell of a night. I bet Abbie's desperate for some loving from that hot soldier." Callum laughed at the wide-eyed look of disbelief on Jo's face. "If I was a girl I'd do him." Callum couldn't resist engaging in playful banter with Jo. They'd been together for over five years and their relationship grew out of humor.

The two wrestled playfully as they headed towards the entrance of the military base where earlier Jake Ashton, Cal's best friend, had graduated into the US Army Reserves.

"You're incorrigible Callum White."

"I know, but you love me Joanna Johnson." Cal pulled Jo tight against his rock hard chest and dropped a kiss to the top of her head. She found the back pocket of his pants and dipped her hand inside to tease by squeezing the firmness of his ass.

"Yeah, guess I do."

With the excitement of the graduation ceremony fading, a renewed sense of anticipation grew in the pair. This weekend marked a new beginning for the friends. The four of them had been best friends for the last five years and on Saturday, Jake and Abbie were getting married. However, before the big day Callum and Jo were traveling to the wedding venue together for a little alone time. Jo's parents owned a house high up in lake country, a secluded property on the edge of a stunning national park with nothing but trees and hills for miles. The closest neighbors were John and Maggie, family friends who lived a fifteen minute drive away, round the other side of the lake.

"You ready babe?" Callum asked as he unlocked the door of his trusty van. His recently renovated VW camper would provide a comfortable alternative to traveling in the back of Jake's mom's station wagon or for that matter, David's SUV along with all the wedding paraphernalia. The families planned on driving up the next day in a convoy of three cars, stopping off at John and Maggie's first before joining them and the happy couple at the lake house on Saturday morning.

Jo and Callum had spent a few weekends away in the camper already this year, the most recent being the trip to the beach in summer with Jake and Abbie.

As excited as Callum felt about the imminent marriage of his two best friends, he preferred the comfort of his own transportation. His mind ran over the alternative; the mass hysteria of a five hour journey with three middle aged women and his best friend's sister. Screw that! He could think of nothing worse.

Jo jumped at the chance of some reflective time with her man before the wedding. Callum had noticed she'd appeared distracted over the last few weeks. He'd surmised her mood probably had a lot to do with the impending wedding, and he planned on taking her mind off any concerns for her friend just as soon as they got to the lake.

"You okay babe?"

"Huh?"

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yep, let's go already." Jo beamed at Callum, her attention back in the here and now.

Callum however, had plans of his own, an ulterior motive for their early arrival at the lake. His lip pulled up in a grin as he pondered his scheming.

"What's got you smirking mister?" Jo grinned suspiciously as Callum shifted in his seat.

"Nothin."