13 | Save our souls

Start from the beginning

"Fill that spot in too. That's it."

"Oh, I got this part."

Everyone was doing their part to help, and no one was bossing around someone. Just a request from one to another but not in a bossy way. It's like we're all primary and secondary colors that are mixing well with each other creating a wonderful color. All of us are getting along pretty well.

"Come and take a look. We did a great job, seriously." Dae-su called us, resulting in us to bundle in one space. I put my hands on Su-hyeok's shoulder which he just let it be and tip-toed a bit.

"Yeah, well, there's no way anyone could miss that." Joon-yeong commented, and all of us nodded.

"Right?"

"We did a good job." Wu-jin also remarked.

"Aish, we should get a 99 on arts for doing this." Gyeong-su uttered while admiring the 'art' all of us made.

"It's a little crooked though." Hyo-ryeong voiced out, slightly bursting their bubble which made me snicker.

"Na-yeon's awfully quiet." I-sak whispered to both On-jo and me. We looked at the girl who's just sitting at the corner, minding her own business.

"It's actually surprising for her to help..."

"...Or even to not boss around earlier." On-jo added to my statement.

Some time passed, everyone was doing this and that. I am standing beside Nam-ra for some reason. Though we're not talking, a comfortable silence is surrounding us.

"Yah..." I called her, she looked at me then I pointed at Su-hyeok and Cheong-san. "Don't they look married to you?" I joked, it made her chuckle and nodded. I also smiled, Nam-ra smile or laugh once in a blue moon, and I'm proud that I witnessed those once in a blue moon.

"They're too caring to each other." She replied, "And too loving." I added.

"So... you and Su-hyeok, eh?" I changed the topic, Nam-ra then blinked at me innocently and that made me laugh. "Nevermind." I looked away, it looks like my friend has no plan on telling me.

"Yeah, we're now a thing." She answered, making me laugh a little more. I looked at her and coughed. "I did not force you to tell that."

"Err, just told my friend about it." Nam-ra pronounced, I smiled and put my hands around her shoulder.

"Oh, Nam-ra. I'm proud of you." I gave her a teasing smile, Nam-ra then scoffed playfully before laughing with me. And this was one of our longest conversations.

Surely, Nam-ra and I treated each other as a friend or acquaintance, but we never had a chance to just chit chat about pointless things or even have a dumb talk. It's just the 'hey, morning' greetings, 'could you please teach me this' requests, smiling at each other, and the comfortable silence that made us friends.

"How about you two? Finally reconciled?" She questioned, I did not quite expect her to ask that but I nodded nonetheless. "Yeah, oh please, your boyfriend took three months to apologize to me." I responded, causing us to laugh even more.

"Hey prez!" We stopped laughing when Dae-su approached us, followed by Wu-jin.

"What does SOS mean?" He asked, I took a glance behind him seeing On-jo kicking Cheong-san while I-sak and Gyeong-su were laughing. I smiled before turning my attention to Dae-su and Nam-ra's conversation.

"He's dumb, isn't he?" Wu-jin whispered to me while laughing, I elbowed his hips to shush him, making him hiss.

"How about you? Do you know what it means?" I returned the question to him, he blinked before answering. "It means save our ship. Hah!" He boasted when he answered it, I scoffed and just shook my head. Meanwhile, Wu-jin was making a weird victory dance for answering my question.

"You're just partially correct! It does not stand for anything since it's a morse code!" I smacked his shoulder, annoyed by that victory dance. He's a little cute while dancing though–

"That sun's setting, let's start a fire." On-jo told us, I slapped myself for those weird thoughts and just walked away from Wu-jin to follow my other friends. Meanwhile, Cheong-san was still recovering from the kick that he received from On-jo.

We formed a little circle to make the fire. All of us are sitting except for Nam-ra and Na-yeon who's leaving quite a gap for the two of them. On-jo was rubbing the wood fast while I hissed, it looks like it'll burn your skin.

"I'm done." On-jo announced and stood up when she grew tired.

"Already?" Wu-jin questioned, shocked that our friend gave up for a little time. "Next!" Joon-yeong, who's beside me, got ready for his turn.

He did an Indian sit like On-jo and fixed his glasses first. "All right, let's do this."

"You'll get tired, slow down." Dae-su uttered when Joon-yeong was rasping it fast.

"The fire won't start if he goes slowly, aishh." Wu-jim told Dae-su after hitting his shoulder. With that, Dae-su changed his comment. "Do it faster! Faster, faster! I said come on, faster! Rub it faster!" Dae-su's cheer was pressuring Joon-yeong, which resulted in him having cramps.

"Aishh, why would you pressure Joon-yeong ah." I smacked his shoulder. "I'll do it, move over."

We all looked at each other with 'i am so done with him' face when Dae-su was rubbing the wood slowly while shutting his eyes tightly.

"Should we kill him?" Wu-jin asked me and Joon-yeong. I looked at Dae-su tiredly and face palmed.

"What the hell are you doing, man?" Gyeong-su, who also seemed to have enough, questioned Dae-su. "Are you praying?" Joon-yeong followed the question.

"Stop praying. Try... Stop it." Wu-jin took place of Dae-su. "It's hard, it won't work." The man claimed.

Wu-jin failed to make a fire, so did Gyeong-su, and so did I-sak.

"My turn." They gave way as I was settling myself to sit down. I breath in deeply first before rasping the wood in the fastest state I could.

"Hey, hey, hey, isn't that smoke?"

"Hey, smoke!"

"Smoke!"

"Hold on."

I moved over when Su-hyeok tried to blow it to make it a fire.

"Did it work? Bare-su ah." I tapped his back, Su-hyeok closed his eyes in frustration and cursed. "Shibal." Oh, I assume he blew the smoke away.

"Let me try." He said, excusing me. I sat beside Ji-min to watch.

"Yah..." I heard Nam-ra calling so I looked at her, but the others were still busy watching Su-hyeok.

"Yah!" Nam-ra called louder, and that made everyone look at her. She then got something from her pocket. "Use this." She showed us a lighter.

What in the world?

I blinked as I saw it in her hands. "Well, I smoke sometimes." Nam-ra explained.

"You had it this whole time..." Wu-jin mumbled, dumbfounded.

"You don't want it?" Su-hyeok rushed to get it from her.

Nam-ra looked at me so I gave her a sweet smile.

That was... quite awkward.

 quite awkward