Summer Bike Rides

Start from the beginning

Richie finally came to a stop in front of a tall tree. It had many different levels of branches and, because of the remaining weeks of summer, it still had its luscious, green leaves.

Richie looked back at Eddie, who just finally caught up to him, leaning over, panting from the running, and grinned. In Eddie's eyes, it wasn't a fun grin; it was one of Richie's mischievous ones. The one that he has when he has a bad idea, which if you ask Eddie and Stan, is every Richie Tozier idea.

"I'm going to climb this tree," Richie said nonchalantly, even though he knew Eddie was going to yell at him in any given moment.

"What?!" Eddie squeaked. He shook his head. "No, no. Absolutely not, Richie. You can not climb this fucking tree. Why the fuck would you do that? If you fell, you could break every fucking limb in your body. Or, worse, you can get some disease or infection or-"

Richie cut him off. "Or nothing, Eds. I want to climb the tree and if something happens," he patted Eddie on the shoulder, "well, it's lucky I'll have my Doctor K here to fix me up." He winked at Eddie and started towards the tree.

Eddie blushed the tiniest bit. He then shook his when he realized that was not the thing he should be worrying about in this moment.

"Richie, stop being an asshole! Get down from there."

Richie balanced on one of the tree limbs, gripping the tree with both hands, and looked down towards Eddie. "Eddie, I told you I will be fine." He looked up towards the sky. "I just want to go a little bit higher."

Eddie was panicking and on impulse, he reached towards his fanny pack to pull out his inhaler, but thought better of it as he doesn't actually need one. He was scared for Richie and he did not want to think about him getting hurt in any way.

He was taken out of his thoughts when Richie was yelling down to him. "Eds! Eddie Spaghetti! Look, there's a bird nest up here. Stan would get a fucking kick out of this."

"Richie," Eddie pleaded. "Get down! I'm not saving your sorry ass if you fall out of the tree."

"No."

"Why are you doing this anyway?"

"Because."

"Because why?!"

"I don't know," Richie shrugged, gripping the tree. He wasn't super high up, but he definitely was not close to ground, at least not by Eddie's standards of decent heights.

Eddie was getting frustrated, and very frightened. "Richie, get down from there now, or I'm leaving!"

"No, Eds."

Eddie stomped his foot very dramatically—'Richie was going to tease him about that later.'— and crossed his arms across his chest. "Well, then I'm going to get the police."

Richie waved his hand dismissively. "Go ahead, I can fight them. I'm no fucking wuss."

Eddie grumbled and zipped open his fanny pack. He pulled out a bag of cookies he quickly stuffed in his pack for a late day snack. He figured if he couldn't convince Richie to get down with words, he would eventually get hungry and need a pick-me-up.

With a smirk, Eddie lifted up the bag of semi-broken cookies, watching Richie's eyes be immediately directed to them. "If you get down from the tree, you can have one of these delicious cookies I packed up."

Richie looked like he was about to cave for the slightest of seconds, but he kept up his prideful demeanor. "You think fucking cookies are going to make me get down from this tree, Eds? I'm not even hungry."

"Ah, not yet you aren't. But you'll be begging for food and water eventually. Did you even bring anything with you?"

Eddie looked at Richie's face and knew he was winning him over. Richie may be pretty stubborn, but when it came to Eddie he relented far too quickly—more quickly than he liked to admit.

Richie quickly climbed down from the tree, and lunged off of the stump towards Eddie. He almost knocked him over from the force of his movements, but brought his hands up to Eddie's shoulders to stabilize them, pushing the both of them closer together in the process.

Richie looked like he was blushing from under his coke bottle glasses and Eddie cleared his throat to help dissipate some of the awkwardness. He opened the bag of cookies and tilted them in Richie's direction.

He grabbed the cookie and stuffed it in his mouth. "I totally would've fought the police."

"Sure you would've, asshole," Eddie grumbled, but there was no malice in his voice. Only a small smile on his lips.

—————————-

Hope you enjoyed! Again, a good portion of these oneshots are going to based off of writing prompts, which I will always post the chosen prompt before the chapter, but you can always find them on Pinterest and Google. I might write some that aren't based on any prompts and if that's the case, I'll address it right before the writing.