Chapter VII - Strength

Start from the beginning

(Y/n) has yet to understand what was going on. She follows her gaze to the paper that her brother holds in one fist, and is only confused as to what had made him so displeased.

"Damn it!" (Y/n) flinches when she sees Satoko throwing down the crumbled paper, onto the floor. She would then take a step back when he would face her, unsure of what action he was going to take.

Satoko neglects the paper that he had just thrown and goes right up to (Y/n). At the right distance, he goes down to her height before he embraces her. He goes it for the purpose of comforting her, yet he doesn't tell her right away why he does so.

"It's okay, (Y/n). Your big brother's going to protect you. I promise."

This statement doesn't answer any of the questions that run in (Y/n)'s head. It's understandable for a little girl her age, with no concept of how the real world works, or any knowledge on the human behavior and tendencies.

"Pro...tect...?" (Y/n) musters out.

Satoko hums. "Yeah." He breaks away from the hug to explain to (Y/n). "That means that I'll work twice as hard to take care of you, to keep you from harm." He grins widely for the sake of her. "We're brother and sister. We have to stick together. Now more than ever. Do you understand?"

(Y/n) would slowly figure out what Satoko was trying to imply by those words. "Yes..." She lets herself get pulled into another hug she would share with him that morning, unfazed by the touch.

It didn't take me long to figure out that he left. Yet I was in denial, hoping that I can still resolve my backlashes. The qualities that he didn't like about me.

I couldn't stop crying for days when Satoko just told me flat out. It was agonizing.

~•~

Shortly after, we would move in with grandma and grandpa. It was a whole new environment, since we were actually being nurtured and loved. Our grandparents were already making a difference.

"Here you go!" (Y/n)'s grandmother serves a plate for (Y/n), the last to receive their own portion of dinner. "Now eat up you two!" The elderly lady takes a seat next to her spouse and offers the two children to start their meal. "This is your home now. Enjoy every bit of it."

"Thank you for the food." Satoko performs a small prayer, followed by his grandparents.

(Y/n) is the only one that doesn't do the same. Because instead, she would say. "I wanna go back to the apartment." Everyone at the dining table react with dumbfounded looks, surprised to hear such harsh words from the toddler. "I don't wanna live here."

Satoko doesn't hesitate to scold at her then and there. "(Y/n)! You can't just say that in front of grandma and grandpa." His little sister shows little to no remorse. "They're willing to take care of us. They could've left us by ourselves if they wanted to."

"Would be better than staying here..."

"Stop that right now." Satoko puts his foot down. "You know we can't go back to that apartment."

"No, I don't!" (Y/n) says truthfully, this being the first time she's ever had the courage to yell at Satoko. "Grandma and grandpa could've come to us instead! Why is it that we had to go to them? Does it not matter of what we want?"

"Of course it does." Satoko's eyes softens. "It's just..." He struggles to find the right words to use, in regards to having her to understand. "--...not a very good home to stay at."

"What makes it not good? Because dad was there?" (Y/n) retorts.

(Y/n) and Satoko's grandparents don't reaffirm the speculation, nor deny it. They just avoid eye contact the entire time, not wanting to make matter worse between the siblings.