Chapter Twenty-Two. Billy's Broken Nose

Start from the beginning

    Grabbing a volleyball from the pile, she bounced it once, then twice. Her eyes were glued to Billy— he was too busy bothering Steve to notice anything else going on in the gym. "I heard you used to run this school, is that true?" he said. "King Steve, they used to call you. Then you turned bitch."

Steve grunted. "Hey, maybe, you should just shut up and play the game," he huffed out, dribbling the basketball faster.

As soon as Billy disconnected himself from Steve, she tossed the volleyball into the air and stepped back. She had a good serve, that she knew, so as she smacked the palm of her hand against the ball she prayed it would go were she was hoping. With wide eyes, Lucy watched as it sailed across the gym and directly at Billy's face.

    His head thrashed back, as the volleyball connected with his nose. "Shit!" he yelled, hand flying to his face. "Dammit!"

    Snorting, Daniel cupped a hand around his mouth as Billy wiped the blood from his upper lip. When the blondes eyes darted towards his teammate, he shrugged. "Sorry, man," Danny shrugged, the hate in Billy's glare going straight through him.

"Who the fuck did this?" the boy grabbed the volleyball, eyes scanning the other half of the gym. "Someone speak up!"

She grabbed another volleyball from the pile. Shrugging, Lucy sent Billy a blank look. "Oops?" she spoke, concealing a grin.

Billy fought every urge in his body to scream at her, the veins in his neck popping as he gritted his teeth. The girl send a small smile his way, before turning on her heels and back to the bleachers, satisfied with the bloody nose she had given him.

   Her mood only faltered when Nancy entered the gym, her books clutched in hand— she called for her boyfriend, loudly. Steve begrudgingly followed, causing Lucy to tense up and itch with curiosity. The bell rang only ten minutes later, the girl immediately shooting up and towards the locker room.

    "Luce!" Danny called. "That was hilarious, what you did the Hargrove."

    She nodded. "Yeah," the girl half-chuckled, not paying her brother much mind. "Yeah, it was funny."

He followed her eyes, noticing her focus was glued to the hallway. Brow furrowed, Daniel pulled at her arm. "What's up?" he asked. "Hello, Lucy?"

   She snapped out of her trance as Danny waved a hand in her face, "Sorry, what? I'm just— I can't focus," Lucy murmured, shaking her head. "Have you seen Harrington?"

    "Steve? Um," Daniel shrugged. "I mean, class just ended— you saw him leave with Nance."

    Nodding, she pursed her lips. "Right," Lucy murmured. "Yeah, right. I'll see you later, Dan."

       She had a dull headache forming. The subtle pain swirled in the front of her brain, blocking her thoughts and sending a message of exhaustion to her body. When the bell rang, she was beyond relieved— the day had come to an end. It was Thursday, which meant she'd stop by the middle school to pick up Dustin.

    Shoelaces clicking against the floor, she rushed through the halls of Hawkins High. Lucy fiddled with the strap of her backpack, eyes squinted in an attempt to block out some of the harsh light. Then, she saw him— after exiting the building, she noticed Steve, his back pressed to the wall. Approaching him, Lucy grew curious on what happened with Nancy; the look on his face is what caught her off guard.