𝟎𝟓. 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐀 𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐑𝐢𝐬𝐤?

Start from the beginning

  "I'm sure you would enjoy it, love." Fred tried to persuade. He swished his head to the side slightly in order to get his long ginger hair out of his eyes before staring straight at her once more. "George and I swear that playing a good old prank on Professor Snape always helps cheer people up."

  Matilda snapped her head to look at him, her eyes wide. "Snape?" she nearly shrieked. "Are the both of you positively insane?"

  "I don't know - do you reckon we're insane, Fred?" George looked over at his brother once more.

  "Only occasionally," Fred mumbled with a lazy smirk. "I like to think that what we do is for the greater good. If we don't prank the man, who will?"

  "Precisely," George grinned.

  "Well I still don't want any part in it," Matilda shook her head in determination. "If he were to find out I would get detention."

  "You're not to tell me that you've never gotten detention before?" Fred practically guffawed at her, looking completely gobsmacked.

  Matilda hesitated for a moment, nearly embarrassed before she answered. "Well- no." She shrugged her shoulders after admitting it. "I've just never done anything very detention worthy."

  "Well, it's not all bad," Fred reasoned. "George and I have had some laughs during detention. Though it shocks me you've never had detention, love. Even Hermione has served detention."

  Matilda knew the girl they were referring to. She almost always ran into Hermione Granger when she was studying at the library. The younger girl was always there with her nose buried in a book, and they had occasionally chatted during long study sessions.

  "Detention may not worry you, but I would rather not spend my Saturday polishing Snape's shoes," she argued.

  "Nonsense," Fred shook his head as he smiled down at her. "I never polished his shoes - did polish his potions classroom, though."

  "It's true," George nodded beside her. "I polished the floor whilst Fred worked on the tables."

  Matilda looked at George for a few moments. She then turned to Fred, who was looking at her expectantly. His face was close to hers, and she could practically feel the smugness radiating off him. She narrowed her eyes at him, her mind pondering her options for a moment.

  She could always say no to their offer, go back to her common room, and try to fall asleep despite the fact that many things seemed to be bothering her. Or, she could accept the proposal, head down to the dungeons, and play a harmless prank that would probably not be traced back to her either way. It would certainly help to get her mind off things.

  As the twins waited for her answer, Matilda came to realize just how boring her life had actually become in the past couple of years. It was always the same things - go to class, study, have dinner with her friends, hang out for a while and then either go to sleep or head up to the astronomy tower.

  Matilda didn't know what had urged the sudden change in character, but she felt like something had to be done to break the pattern she had set for herself. For the first time in her life, she decided to be spontaneous. Hopefully, it wouldn't come back to haunt her.

  "Alright," she clapped her hands together, a small smile coming onto her face. "What's the game plan, then?"

  Fred and George grinned at each other excitedly. As George stood up, Fred wrapped his arm around Matilda's shoulder, catching her off guard for a moment and shaking her gleefully. "Knew you'd say yes!"