she turned on the radio. turning up the volume, the voice of narrator could've been heard from the device. " and what's better way to start morning, other than listening to the new single by dolly parton and kenny rogers, that is currently number one in the us charts! now playing "islands in the stream"! have a great day ladies and gentlemen!" 

"islands in the stream" started playing. edith smiled to herself and reached to raise the volume even more. soon she started singing along, enjoying the ride. 

islands in the stream
that is what we are
no one in between...

soon she reached the destination, slowing down at the gate. a man leaned down. "hello, could you show me your id mrs. michaels? " - middle-aged man asked with a weak smile. edith didn't even bother to move a muscle or say anything, she simply just showed him the card and went in the open gate. she parked the car and stepped out, looking at her wrist. 10:02. she rolled her eyes and started walking towards the men in suits she saw from distance. 

" mrs. michaels, you've came. " - a slender-built middle-aged man said with a smile, welcoming the woman who seemed unimpressed. 

" you better make it quick brenner, what happened..." - she asked, taking out a pack. man swallowed a lump in his throat, glancing at woman who was now lighting the cigarette. 

" i thought you quit. " - he said, watching edith take a drag. " people evolve backwards, don't they?" - she said in a heavy sarcastic tone and looked at the man who didn't look happy with the answer.  

" why don't you tell me what's going on instead of standing here, asking me questions that are none of your business." - edith stated and threw the cigarette end on the ground, stepping on it. " you'll see it by yourself once the special forces team gets here, but for now, we'll have to wait."

" special forces team? the fuck martin, are you planning on to take me on a war field?" - she asked in concern, making the man smile weakly. " no, but it sure did look like a war field yesterday. "- he said, causing the woman to furrow her brows and open her mouth in shock. 

in seconds couple of black cars entered the territory, men in black suits stepping out of them. approaching the woman and the man. 

" dr. brenner, mrs. michaels. "- a man said, sticking his hand out, which soon was taken by brenner and edith. " i'm agent cooper, leading the special forces team." - the middle-aged man said while shaking edith's hand. 

" thank you agent, i think we really need your help over here. " - brenner added and looked at the woman who stood next to him in confusion with narrowed eyes. " gentlemen, please, let me lead you in." - he said signing to the building's entrance. 

soon the group entered the building. on a metal board a sentence could be read. 

in memory of alexander michaels.                                                                                                                            hawkins' national laboratory. 

 " we've evacuated the east wing, sealed it off, following quarantineprotocol -" - one of the scientists said looking at the agent. other one was unzipping the plastic quarantine door. edith was in utter shock. she had no clue about anything, that was happening in the laboratory. brenner weakly smiled and stepped in. 

they put on some hazmat suits, securing gloves, hoods and boots with some plastic tape. grabbing m16-style rifles and waiting for the woman to do the same in order to start the exploration.