𝟏𝟎 | 𝐒𝐚𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐞

ابدأ من البداية

After a few minutes of waiting, I heard groaning noises coming from outside. I opened the passenger door and quietly walked toward the campfire light to investigate. I found my own father beating the life out of Barry.

I stood in shock as I stared at my dad. Barry can be crazy, but I knew he didn't do shit. Why would my dad have resorted to violence? I'd never seen him like that, ever. Did he normally act like that when I wasn't around? What would've happened if I actually stayed in the car?

My father eventually finished before turning to notice my presence. "I told you to stay in the car." he said coldly as he began to walk past me toward the truck. "Get your bike."

I stayed frozen in place, looking back and forth between him and Barry, who was gasping for air on the ground. I eventually snapped out of my trance and went for my dirt-bike. "I'll pay you back." I said to my dad.

"No, Rafe. You won't." He turned around to face me, leaving me to stop in my tracks. "You know why you won't?" He took multiple steps toward me as I instinctively backed up, afraid he might've considered repeating his violent actions on me. "Because you're a liar. And you're a thief."

I felt tears form in my eyes as I stared back at the man I once thought I knew.

"And you cannot be trusted." He glared at me like I was his biggest regret. "And I can't have you in my house, son. Don't come home." He turned around and walked back to the truck slowly.

Panic set off inside of me as I watched my father leave me in the dark. "Where do you want me to go?" I yelled with no response. "Dad? Dad!"

He slammed the door to the truck before taking off into the night.

These memories flood my mind as I stare at him, waiting for me.

I dock the boat and walk down to the main level, grabbing Juliet's hand in mine. I help her climb off the boat and onto the dock.

"Did you have a fun ride?" he calls out, still a bit away from us.

As we get closer to him, he uncrosses his arms and reaches out to touch Juliet's shoulder. "Hey, sweetie. How are you?" he quickly says. "Wheezie just made some lemonade and she's been dying for everyone to try it. How about you go see her in the kitchen? Rafe will join you in just a second."

"Okay." she says softly.

"Thank you, Juliet." He has a bright smile plastered on his face that soon fades the farther down the dock she walks.

After a few seconds, she turns around to look at me with worry in her eyes. I move my gaze down to the ground.

"What the hell are you doing here?" my father says, his eyes practically peering into my soul.

I stay silent, not really having an answer.

"Does your girlfriend know that I kicked you out of my damn house?"

"Yeah, she does." I say, avoiding eye contact.

"I really thought you were better than this, son. Dragging her into your mess?"

I flinch at his harsh words.

"Get the hell out of here like I told you earlier. We'll talk later about my boat." He looks out at the water as I begin to step past him. "And leave my car here."

I stop. "How am I supposed to get Juliet home?"

"Take the truck, not my damn Range Rover."

I press my lips together before making my way to the kitchen to get Juliet.