make the tables turn

"Thank you, Lieutenant Garcia," Jas said, putting a final note in his chart. "That's all for today."

He smiled as he did the last few buttons on his khaki uniform. "Thank you, Doctor," he said, bidding her goodbye as he left the treatment room.

He left the door slightly ajar, and Jas heard him speak to someone in the waiting area, wishing them luck.

She was glancing at the file of her next victim when Martha, the head nurse, walked in a handful of needle supplies. "Can you please send in Lieutenant Seresin?"

Martha agreed and left to collect the Lieutenant from the waiting area. Jas took a seat in her chair, trying not to grin at the prospect of the look on his face when he saw her.

"Listen, Doc, I'm in peak physical condi..." He trailed off, stopping in his tracks just inside the threshold of her office. Martha closed the door behind the man, sending Jas a knowing look.

"I'm sure you are, Lieutenant," Jas said, standing to shake his hand as if this was their first time meeting. "But you're required to be here, so suck it up. I'm Dr. Lane."

"You," was all he said, letting go of her hand.

"Me," she agreed, gesturing towards the chair on the opposite side of her desk. "Please have a seat."

He sat, albeit reluctantly. "You didn't tell me you worked here."

Jasmine looked at him, a smile on her face. He was squirming. "You didn't ask."

His eyes grew hard. "I asked what you did for work," he argued.

She nodded. "That you did," she agreed. "And I told you I'm a doctor, which I am." She gestured around her office and all the medical equipment. She adjusted the stethoscope around her neck.

Hangman stared at her. "You lied."

"I didn't."

"Lying by omission is still lying."

She shrugged. "Maybe, but you were too busy trying to get in my pants to notice."

His mouth flattened into a tight line, and he eyed her suspiciously, but he didn't say another word.

"Are you ready to begin?"

He grumbled a yes, and actually stood when Jas told him to stand at the measurement on her wall. She brought the block down and noted his height on the file.

"Have I grown, Doc?" His smile was easy, his tone confident. He was trying to get her to crack, but she'd played this game with plenty of people before him - there was nothing he could do that would surprise her.

"No," she said, straightening up. "If you could just hop on the scale for me."

He walked to the scale, but Jas stopped him. "Without your shoes, please." Hangman glowered at her, his smirk gone in an instant. She gave a friendly smile, but he wasn't having any of it. Maybe he thought she was enjoying this too much, which in all fairness, should be a feeling he understood all too well. Hadn't he been cocky in his conviction that he could get Jas to leave with him the night before?

He sat on the bed and undid the laces of his standard issue boots in silence.

He stood on the scale, and Jasmine joined him by it, so she could adjust it until it was even. She could feel his eyes on her, assessing her every move and breath. It wasn't something she was used to - her patients were usually most anxious about the weighing portion of their exam. Hangman seemed unfazed.

"Alright," she said, clearing her throat. "Weight is normal." She glanced up at him and found his eyes still trained on her. The smirk had started to seep back into his features.