Career & Choices || 18

Start from the beginning

jungkook nods his head in the forward direction, which means they're going down the block probably to the convenience store that also sells liquor for she had seen jungkook paying frequent visits there especially when daniel would drop by. aera walks beside him in silence, watching their shadow growing, shrinking, changing sides around them as they pass the streetlights. but the size difference between her and jungkook remains the same, making her smile and pull out her phone.

"oppa wait," she speaks, holding her phone in front of her and clicks a picture of the tall and short pair of shadows, making jungkook laugh. he does a peace sign over his head, pulling aera in a side hug, making her laugh as she clicks another picture.

"now seeing this people can tell which one is the kid," jungkook snickers, pointing at her petite shadow next to his giant one.

aera gives him a sarcastic smile completing his sentence on a better side, "and they can also tell who's the old man,"

"who are you calling old?" jungkook huffs at her, "i'm 27, that's still young,"

"no, that's old," aera laughs, linking her arm with his and looks up, heaving out a deep breath, "when did you start working- and how did you know what to do?"

jungkook looks straight ahead, thinking for a moment as he hums softly, "it was after high school and pretty late too," he admits, "actually during high school i just saw hyung going to the company- being a businessman y'know? suits and ties, formal language, balance sheets, money, deals, clients, that's something we grew up hearing a lot. so i used to think i'll do that too, but as i grew up- and especially saw hyung giving up his actual dreams for- uh wait," he hesitates, glancing at the sister who's frowning at him, making him smile nervously.

aera gasps, covering her mouth and stops on her track, "he gave up his dreams? what does that mean? gosh! there are things i don't know!" she exasperates, "tell me everything, i'm eighteen, i'm a big girl and i deserve to know!" she huffs, crossing her arms and jungkook chuckles.

"alright there big girl," he ruffles her hair, walking slowly on the pedestrian alone at night, just the two of them for it's actually a very odd time to be roaming around. "hyung told me not to bring these things up because you were young and we felt like you didn't need to know. so i'm gonna leave his part for him to tell you, if he wants. but let's carry on with my part okay?"

aera sighs softly, nodding her head and listens attentively as jungkook continues, "so yeah, i saw hyung giving some things up and started going office with dad instead. but he always told me to do what i want- what i feel happy and contented with. i'll be honest here, i had no idea what makes me happy other than my videogames until i was eighteen. just like you. i used to talk to the hyungs, and they all just told me that it's okay and i can take my time to figure things out. i carried on with college and in the very first year itself, i realised that if videogames make me happy, then when why not just carrying on with it."

aera smiles at that, nodding her head and gives him a impressed look, "you have no idea how cool you sound right now,"

"i do have an idea, i'm the coolest man okay?" he flexes, but carries on, "so that's when i stole hyung's card and called manager lee- now he is a great man! he has always been there whenever i needed him." he laughs and aera chuckles too.

"yeah so anyway, i got myself a whole gaming set up- the one with quad l.e.d., a camera and a gaming chair. i started playing and recording for youtube just like that, then people started liking it and they started subscribing and all. i didn't let anyone come in my room for almost three months, because they didn't know about my gaming and the things i bought."

"you were risking your life there," aera laughs and jungkook sighs, remembering the fear of being caught he had back then.

"everyday was an adventure." he admits, "but it was fun. tae was the first one who came to know and he was super excited. he said he loved what i was doing, and then he joined me too. now we both were walking on thin ice together. we shifted in my room and stayed there playing, recording, editing most of the time. but one day i forgot to lock the door and jin hyung came inside... he couldn't believe his eyes and i couldn't believe my eyes.