CHAPTER 15

T H A I R I-ONCE A LULLABY

I put down the picture with devastation. I clench my fist, frustrations and anger came together in an instant. I'm death myself, even I  was exist in darkness, an entity who was feared by a living being on earth. I harvest soul like I was just harvesting grains in the field.

But today a memory starting to mourned me again. My soot came out, commencing to dust the room on hollow; consuming the light and made the rooms ambience into a void of grieves and terror. Voices from the depth of the hell screams in a mournful cries from suffering and regrets being burn to hell for eternity. Without repentance and been cast out by God.

My mind starting to boggles me. Its not about class A, but Catara. We happens to be more than a friend and that was a long time ago. I love every inch of her. Living being can't see how special she was. They are so cruel and greed  enough to share the world with her. But I can't do anything about it, it her fate.

I failed to protect her and now I only watch her from a far. I was in guilt and couldn't face her even a sorry can't change everything. What's done is done. I tried to confront her but our boundaries ruined our closure.  Masyado na kaming pinapalayo ng panahon at kailan man hindi na siya magiging akin.

I met her many years ago at the dark age. We unexpectedly met on that day and her presence matters to me. She's such a good girl. Down to earth and always cheerful. She was an orphan and find a way to escaped and live alone and striving for survival.

While I was so busy hunting souls that day and I saw someone from a distance plowing under the scorching heat of the sun, sweats forming on her forehead, a young girl living on a ran down hut. I pity her.

It's not about her hardwork but Lady fatima came and gave the thread of fate and it was tragic. I don't know what was that fate but the thread was black.

I begged to Fatima to change the fate yet she herself had nothing to do with it. She looked at me and left without a word yet her eyes speaks it all. 

I was about to confront her and see the thread that were tied on her wrist but before I could take another step she rose up and I saw her eyes directly looking at me. And I was so confused if she was just looking something behind me or maybe she wasn't. Her eyes were so beautiful that I couldn't even looked away. I was lost in an instant. It made me loose my mind and even for a reaper made her fall on that gaze. Umatras parin Ako at di mapakali bat ba siya nakatingin sakin? Nilingon ko naman ang paligid at wala namang tao.

"Nakikita ba niya ako?" Bigla kong tanong sa sarili

"You want to buy some of my new fresh harvest vegetables?" Tanong niya bigla na kinaatras ko.

I tried to stepped back with my scythe I hid behind my back.  I keep avoiding her at all cost. If she touches me, she'll looses her life forever but she keep on moving like she had seen me on her naked eye, which is impossible. How?!

I rooted on my spot as she began to point her fingers at me. She can actually see me! I grabbed my scythe to scare her away, giving her a sign of death but I was the one who's scared. "Scram little girl!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm  death and I can end your life" She's calm and her lips parted and gave me a smile. "Don't you understand?!" I hissed at her, she's still confused.

"I take soul and you go ba bye" I said and she still has the same expression

"Are you here to buy or not?"

Napasampal nalang ako sa batok ko. Napatawa ako ng manahan ng di ko alam. The omen surrounding my presences just disappeared and that was the very first time I fell In love on a living being. She was an angel for my eyes. An epitome of grace.

I turn my back on that day but keep on visiting on that place just to see her. I sneak onto the bushes but the leaves sudden wither and died and I walk back. Nakita ko siyang malungkot at lumapit sa mga dahon na nalanta ko. I apologized and she gave me her sweet smile. And those smile carved in my head and I want to see her like that. We unexpectedly  became friends and as the day passed friendship turns into something enchanted. More like I can say If I was a human I'll definitely made her mine. But we are different, too different.

I watch her on her sleep at sinasamahan din siya na nagbebenta sa palengke. Walang araw na hindi ko siya binibisita at sa punto na maraming nangyayaring aksidente paminsan minsan narin kaming nagkikita. I was swamped at work.

I visited and even brings her a pet souls. I know its crazy but she likes it. Walang regalo na hindi na tinatanggap sakin.

As years goes by, the black thread reach her neck the thread crack the glass. Tinakpan ko ang mga rumaragasa niyang blood sand. But she let me. She wants me to kill her . But I can't let her die. But she begged me to kill her. I didn't listen because I can't just take her with me. If I kill her that was my sin. I must wait and talk with lady Fatima and I was long gone.

As the day gone by. Her smile faded away. And i miss it. I didn't knew that she was mistreated. She suffered for too long and she just kept on smiling like she doesn't want me to worry. Until one day I came back as a promise.

Hanggang sa napaluha ako ng makita ko siya walang damit. Araw araw ko na siyang naabutan na umiiyak na nakahubad. Hindi ko siya kayang makita na nagdurusa ng ganito. Napaiyak ako ng makita ko siyang binababoy ng mga kalalakihan sa kanto at wala akong nagawa hindi ko rin pwedeng kunin ang mga kaluluwa ng mga iyon. Napaluhod ako habang kaharap siya na inaabot ang mga kamay niya sakin.

"Hintayin mo ako" bilin ko sa kanya "hindi kana magdurusa pa ulit, just wait for me"

I waited till that day and my deceased book open on its owns and her names slowly written. I rushed to take her with me and I was too excited, the feeling was overwhelming.

Until those memories crashed. I was too late. She take her own life. Her name on the book was slowly fading and burst into flame. I blame myself for that. Wala akong nagawa.

I tried to reach her but something blocked me. Like a barrier. Darkness starting to rose on the ground and her soul came out and blind folded crying. Pinagsisihan ko yun.  She disappeared leaving her body on the cold ground. 

Napabalik ako sa realidad ng maramdaman ko ang paggalaw ng mga daliri ni class A sa kamay ko. I slowly heard her groan in pain and slowly open her eyes. She leaned on me at nabigla naman ako sa pagpahid niya ng kanyang palad saking pisnge

"Baduy mo, di pa naman ako patay"

"Sira" Inalalayan ko siyang umupo at pinasandal sa likuran niya ang unan ko. Inabutan ko naman siya ng pagkain at pagkaalis ko hinahawakan naman niya ang kamay ko. "Bakit may kailangan ka class A?"

"Thank you for saving me"

"Don't mention it. I can't just let you be killed. We have a deal. I'll protect you as long as you are here before your going back onto the land of the living"

"For a reaper. Napakabait mo"

"I'm not"

It's just that, your special. I can't let you suffer the same fate like Catara. I had failed to protect her but can't let that happen twice. Alam ni kora ang nangyaring pag atake ng mga bantay ni catara kay class A at sinabi ko naman na nasa kwarto ko siya na nagpapahinga. Maayos naman ang usapan at bibisita siya mamaya.

I'm very sorry  class A for dragging you here in these realm..