IV. FALSE PROMISES

Start from the beginning

"I was just doing Luke a favor. I made it very clear it was a one time thing." Dahlia's voice was monotone, clearly uninterested as Julie's shoulders sagged.

She had really been hoping that Dahlia would say yes, because then she assumed she would be more excited when she told Dahlia that she was planning to perform a song—Bright, to her music teacher in a final attempt to get readmitted into the music program.

Still, Julie knew that Dahlia had been supportive and patient with her younger sister when it came to singing. Just because she was slowly starting to ease into the passion again, didn't mean Dahlia had to follow.

But the Molina's were persistent beings, and Julie knew that nothing made Dahlia happier than writing. She'd be dammed if she let that slip away from Dahlia again.

Julie smiled up at her sister, taking the half drank mug out of her hands as she pulled Dahlia to the front door, ignoring her grumbling protests.

They had taken the long way to school—thank God, because if Julie had attempted to take the dangerous shortcut Dahlia might've cried. Her patience was low today—too low, and if she had to remember almost getting run over she would've lost it entirely.

The sun beaming against Dahlia's cheeks wasn't doing much to lift her attitude, her mind still wandering on her decision from last night. She had decided she was done with music a while ago, and she wasn't sure why this time felt any different.

It might've felt different because maybe there was the slightest chance that she had been feeling guilty at the thought of ignoring the three ghosts that were living in the garage, knowing two of them did nothing wrong, and Luke had just wanted to help.

The Molina girl didn't even want to spend another second thinking of the musician spirits that resided in her house, because she knew dwelling on it would only draw her closer to the situation.

She knew a part of her wanted to know more about the ghosts in her garage, she had questions upon questions that were filling her mind.

Why were they here? Why could she touch them and Julie couldn't?

One too many questions swirled throughout her mind, the uncertainty of it all making her head spin. Dahlia knew she had bigger things to focus on, like her social life and her grades. Dahlia knew she needed perfect grades if she wanted so much as a shot to pursue her dream job.

Dahlia had always liked to plan ahead. She planned so much ahead that she had her future lined up in front of her eyes. She wanted to live in New York City, in a humbly sized apartment downtown. She wanted to be a doctor, and she wanted to study medicine at John Hopkins University.

She knew her heart was set on being a doctor, but deep down Dahlia knew the true career she wanted to pursue was a song writer; but being successful in that industry was nearing impossible.

She didn't have time to dwell on things that would never happen, and she definitely didn't have time to dwell on three people that were quite literally made of air.

It seemed that the three ghosts were all anyone ever talked about, as Dahlia had reluctantly been listening to Julie as she began to rant about the teenage boys, who she had found snooping and looking through things in her bedroom. Dahlia whipped out an amused smile at this, and Julie groaned.

"Not funny, Lia. Plus, I told them if they wanted to find music, my room wasn't the place to search through." Julie said, leaving her comment open ended. Dahlia hoped she wouldn't come home to find her bedroom turned upside down and messy, obviously having been searched through.

Dahlia shoved Julie playfully, ruffling her hair with a sigh. She could live with the ghosts, fine, but she refused to have anything to do with them with it came to music.