Everything about this place gave me the impression that it was supposed to be a secret, hidden castle in the mountains. Probably for protection but it was still so magnificent. Soldiers lined the sides of the roads and each held an oil lamp in one hand and a glacial spear in the other. These were the Tsaritsa's royal guard. Not that she really needed them of course, she was the almighty archon.

"Have you ever been here before General?" Ilya  spoke from across from me.

"No I haven't. I only joined the Fatui around 3 weeks ago, so naturally I wouldn't have had the honour to be invited to such a place," I responded.

"It is truly mesmerising, no? After all, I did aid in the funding and decorating of the manor house," added Pantalone.

"You did? Incredible. You truly have a good eye, my Lord," I complimented. I felt Dottore roll his eyes beside me to which I had to battle to conceal a smile. The way Dottore found everyone ridiculous and irritating was hilarious to me.

Pantalone smirked handsomely at me to which I glanced away quickly. I hoped my compliment didn't come off as anything more than just a compliment. I really didn't know how to converse with my superiors and that was evident from the way me and Dottore talked much of the time.

The wait to reach the entrance was agonising as I was just itching to see the inside of this palace. Despite the dark atmosphere of the evening, turrets were visible from the top of the palace and my theories were that this might've been someone's castle once upon a time.

Eventually after a tiring wait, we were through and the carriage circled around a water fountain frozen into ice. We reached the red carpeted stairs leading up to the grand double door entrance. The men exited the carriage first and upon stepping out, Dottore extended his hand to me.

"Oh? I didn't take you as a gentleman, Dottore," I joked.

"Just come on," he said with an eye roll.

I smirked before taking his hand and carefully stepping down. He pulled me closer until his arm was linked with mine and he led me towards the doors. Many others were partnered up in the same way but I still couldn't keep the questioning look out of my eyes as I stared at him. My heart was beating erratically at the close proximity and I was secretly extremely happy to be the one on Dottore's arm.

"Quit staring, this is just polite etiquette. I already have a bad enough reputation as it is, if they found out I was a rude gentleman, heaven forbid the world might come crashing down," he grumbled.

"I didn't think you cared much about your reputation," I said as we were greeted with a bow by a royal attendant.

"I don't. But Pierro and Her Majesty said that we still need to uphold a decent enough image. Especially in Snezhnayan society. There are all sorts of people here tonight, not just Fatui. Business men and women, members of various Ministries around Teyvat and people the queen wants to keep close by. Basically, don't embarrass me tonight," he finished.

"Me? Embarrass you? I wouldn't dream of it," I said with a little sarcasm.

He gave me a warning glance in response.

I had no idea how many people would be here. A set of double golden staircases with blazing red carpets led up to another beautiful door that was wide open. The sound of chatter and clinking of glasses could be heard from out here.

Suddenly I felt anxious. Social gatherings were not something I attended often and the last ball I'd been to was in Liyue when I was tasked with trailing a guest there. I was taught all the dances and was trained to look as normal as possible in order to blend in so I did know enough. But the thought of being stood in front of all of these people for the award ceremony had me exhaling a shaky breath.