07. {the explanation}

Start from the beginning

lucas shook his head. "no, no, no." he explained. "it's not like that."

"what's it like, then?" felicity challenged.

"i wanted to apologise to her, and you." lucas admitted. "i need you to come with me."

"yeah right." felicity shook her head. "where to?"

"to the back..." lucas informed her. he watched as her face morphed into a look of disbelief. "trust me, i want to explain everything."

"lucas-"

the boy glanced behind her, out the window. he saw max flipping the bird to a car driving off. lucas grabbed felicity's arm and yanked her to the back of the arcade.

"are you crazy?" she hissed as he shut the door.

"ready, keith!" lucas called out.

"okay." a bored voice replied. "keep things pg, all right?"

felicity heard a loud click, the door had locked. "is this a joke? lucas, let me out."

"do you want to know the truth?" lucas negotiated. "i want to tell you and max everything, why mike doesn't want you to come to some of the meetings."

"don't you think it's a little too late for that?" felicity muttered. "you don't know how it feels."

"how what feels?"

"i thought i had finally made some friends." she explained. "i'm lucky that max moved here at the same time, because if she didn't... i'd have no one. do you know how hard it is to make friends with people in the middle of the last year of school?"

"felicity-"

"but i thought you guys were different. you actually seemed to be interested in me and what i said. then all of a sudden you started acting like i had killed your family." felicity exemplified.

"that's not the case." lucas shook his head. "listen, we really like you. i really like you. but things started getting bad again, things i couldn't explain. but i can now, once max gets here."

"this is your last strike, sinclair." felicity warned him. "i don't usually do third chances."

lucas grinned. "you won't regret it."

felicity smiled at him. "i better not."

the lock clicked once again and the door opened. standing there was max, holding a bag of cheese puffs and her skateboard, and the manager of the arcade - keith. max's face dropped when she saw the two in the room together

"you better get me that date now, sinclair." keith threatened.

"i told you i will." lucas reminded him.

"what is this shit, stalker?" max stepped over to them once keith had closed the door. "don't tell me he's got you roped into this too, felicity."

felicity held her hands up in defence. "i wanna hear what he has to say."

"sorry." lucas apologised. "i just needed a safe place."

"a safe place to what?" max scoffed. "be creepy?"

"listen. i'm gonna tell you guys the truth about everything that happened last year." lucas said. "but if anyone finds out, you could be arrested... possibly killed."

"excuse me?" felicity gave him a look of incredulity.

"killed?" max echoed.

"i need to know. do you two accept the risk?" lucas spoke, sincerely.

"oh, my god! this- this is so stupid." max laughed, but felicity kept quiet.

"do you accept the risk?" lucas reaped.