The Winery Master and the Resonant Maiden

Start from the beginning

"He is definitely popular here," you said to yourself.

"Aye, can't be helped given the success of my business."

Your heart leaped in shock upon hearing Diluc's voice behind you. You immediately turned around and indeed, for some reason he already stood there behind you. Realizing he heard you, your hands flew to cover your mouth.

Diluc shifted his gaze to the people who are now leaving the premises. After a few more minutes, the road is completely empty. He turned to you.

"Let us go," he said. You nodded.

You followed Diluc amidst the remaining trees, the small houses, between the grape vines, and into the huge elegant doors of the big mansion at the center of the village. Your face gave away the awe you felt when your jaw almost dropped you came inside.

It was wooden, huge and spacious. The furnitures are definitely expensive. A long dining table can be seen in the middle. People in maid's and butler's outfit can be found busying themselves from dusting and awaiting their master's orders. Diluc seems to be living like a king.

Yet, you couldn't help but notice how dull and empty the place is. You wonder now how this mysterious man's life really is.

Diluc gestured to one of the maids.

"(Y/n), this is Adelinde, the head housemaid of the this mansion," Diluc said.

Adelinde bowed slightly before you. "A pleasant evening," Adelinde said. You looked and slightly bowed as well. For a second, it seemed like a saw a tiny smile come out of her bowing face.

"Take a seat at the dining table," Diluc told you. You immediately followed as he seemed to instruct Adelinde about something.

After taking your seat, you played with your fingers as you waited for the man to sit at the center.

"Now then, let us continue with our interrogation," Diluc fixed his gloves. You gulped.

"Why exactly does the Tsaritsa want to posses you?" he asked.

You closed your eyes.

"Over the years, the Cryo Archon has possessed thousands of resonant Snezhnayan ladies. This happens every 200 years. It is believed that every half a century, an archon-resonant maiden will be sent by the heavens as a gift to the Cryo Archon. Thus, every 200 years, the Resonance Ritual is performed. We don't know how it happens, but when it does, it has been passed to all Snezhnayans that the night will glow in purplish light. Everyone must kneel and bow their heads for 10 seconds and pray to the Cryo Archon. Then the resonant maiden will be enveloped in green light, which signifies that she is the one sent for the Tsaritsa to possess."

"Hmm... Again, another fairytale," Diluc looked at you.

"It is believed that once the Tsaritsa possesses the resonant maiden, she will restore the power that she lost for three centuries. Of course,  needless to say that it restores her maiden form. Although, the Tsaritsa can also choose to use to the form of the possessed body."

"I see," Diluc replied. "And so it has to be a maiden who has resonance to the archon."

"There is one more that I think you must know," you said. Diluc looked at you with an expectant look.

"If the resonant maiden is born at the night of a blood moon, is 20 years old at the time of the Resonance Ritual, and developed a Cryo vision... If she will be possessed before she turns 21, the effects will be triple-fold."

"And you fulfill all these?"

"Yes."

"And so the formidable Tsaritsa, if she takes you, will regain a millenium's amount of power," Diluc said.

You nodded.

Diluc took his hand under his chin as he processed his thoughts deeply. He looked deeply troubled at first, but he managed to claim his composure. Finally, he spoke.

"Then you must receive some form of protection."

You looked at him and asked, "Will you turn me over to the Knights of this land?"

To your surprise, Diluc clicked his tongue. "The Knights of Favonius?" He sneered.

"No. You will stay in my mansion for the time being."

"I-I understand," you responded. You can't help but wonder about the reaction he made about the knights. But more importantly, you wonder how to relieve this man of your presence. It will certainly be bad for Diluc's village and business if you are to stay.

"Uhm, I am grateful for your kindness, but it is really unsafe for me to stay here. I do not wish any of my misfortunes to affect a kind-hearted person such as you," you stood up.

Diluc closed his eyes and intertwined his hands and fingers on the table.

"Unfortunately, I fear you don't have a say in this. In case you have forgotten, you have yet to face the consequences of your actions, and I am the one to give you your sanctions," Diluc stood up. He was much taller than you that you had to raise your head to meet his eye.

He's right. You actually forgot about it. You somehow felt a slight tingling in your body when you noticed that you were staring at the man's face. You then lowered your face.

"Then how many days will I be detained?" you asked.

"I haven't made my decision," he replied. "Thus, until the time I come up with such, you are staying," he said.

"B-but..."

"Not buts," Diluc crossed his arms.

You pursed your lips in frustration.

"Then, I must do something in this house. I will serve as a maid," you declared.

"I have no intention of hiring you or getting anything from you," Diluc said.

Out of frustration, you held his coat.

"Please, I beg for your kindness. I need some way to earn for myself," you said. You looked him in the eye.

Diluc immediately felt strange after Y/N tugged his coat. His heart seemed to beat arrhythmically. He looked at Y/N with a frown.

"If you don't agree then I swear to you I will be gone by the morning," Y/N said.

'Really stubborn woman,' Diluc thought. 'Just stay in the mansion while I figure out what can be done. Why do you have to be so persistent?' Diluc talked to her in his head. In this end, he gave up.

"Very well," Diluc replied. He made a gesture. Immediately, Adelinde came to the table.

"Adelinde, she will be a new house maid. I am making you in-charge of her," Diluc said. He sat on his chair and took a sip from his newly served tea.

"Yes, Master Diluc," Adelinde said. She turned to you. "Shall I show you the maid's quarters?"

"Thank you very much, Adelinde," Y/n replied. She then turned to Diluc.

"Thank you for your kindness, Master Diluc," Y/N said with a slight bow. She immediately followed Adelinde.

Diluc paused upon hearing her speak his name. Somehow, it had a different ring to his ear.

He straightened the side of his coat that Y/N held. His heart continued to beat differently. He sighed.

He then remembered Y/N silver waist-length hair. He knew he wanted to take his gloves off to check just how smooth and silky it really is.

Diluc lightly tapped his cheeks.

'No. Focus, Diluc.'

~~~~~