Chapter Thirty-seven: The Pep Rally

Start from the beginning

"Morning babe," Steve greets her.

"Morning love," Jessica says wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him down for a kiss. Steve places his hands onto her hips, tugging her closer. Their kiss was cut short as the two jumps at the sound of a horn blaring at them. 

Jessica peers around Steve's body and sees Robin. She was in the backseat but had lean her body toward the front, her hand pressed firmly onto the horn. "Enough lovebirds. We have to get to school." 

Steve shakes his head at Robin's antics and opens the passenger door for Jessica, allowing her to climb in. He shuts it and jogs around the car. He gets into the driver's seat and starts the car up. "Wait, where's Dustin?" he asks Jessica. "Still getting dressed. He said he'll catch the bus." Steve shrugs. "Alright." He puts the car into drive and takes off down the road. 

++++++

"Have you gotten your acceptance letter yet?" Steve asks Jessica as he drives her and Robin to Hawkins High. Jessica shakes her head. "No, and the anticipation is killing me. Nancy already got hers." 

"What about Jonathan?" 

Jessica shakes her head. "He's still waiting on his." "Okay, then you know it's only a matter of time before you two get the acceptance letters." "But why haven't we gotten it yet? Did each college I applied to hate my smartness? Maybe I should've toned it down and gotten a few B's-" 

"Hey, hey, hey. They don't hate your smartness. They love it. I love it. Robin loves it. Right?" Steve asks, glancing at Robin through his rearview mirror but Robin had tuned the couple out as she was busy applying on mascara in her handheld mirror. "Robin, are you listening?"  

"Uh, yes." 

"What did I just say?"

"Something about me and you loving Jessica." "Yes and no. I'm talking about Jessica's smartness," he says in frustration. "Cut me some slack, please," Robin snaps. "Well-" "Your love life is freaking perfect." Jessica giggles. "Our love life is not-" "Yes, it is! God, your relationship makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a fork because of how in love you two are. It's sickening." 

"Robin-"

"Plus, it is 7:00 in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a corpse," Robin exclaims in horror as she places her hands onto her cheeks. "You don't look like a corpse. You're beautiful, Robin," Jessica tells her. Robin simply groans at Jessica. 

"You're worried about a pep rally? You except me to believe that?" Steve questions her. "Yeah? So?" "So, the three of us know what this is about. Okay, I'm not buying that. This is about Vickie." Robin shakes her head in denial. "Absolutely not." 

"Yes, it is," Jessica pipes up making Steve wave his hand around. "See! You know what else I think?" "I really don't care-" Robin begins as she applies lip-gloss on. "I think you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her. You just gotta be yourself." 

Robin sits back in her seat in disbelief. "You do realize you weren't yourself when you and Jessica first dated." "She's right," Jessica says. Steve nods his head. "Well, maybe you need to look at me for example. You ever think about that smarty pants? I changed. Look at me. Boom. Living my best life with the love of my life." 

Jessica leans over the console and presses a kiss onto Steve's cheek. "You're the love of my life." Robin rolls her eyes as Jessica sits back down in her seat. "Ugh you two. It's not the same thing. Okay?" "Well..." 

"Hypothetically speaking, let's say you and Jess broke up-"

"Wait, what?" Steve and Jessica shout.

"We broke up? No, no way." Steve says, shaking his head. "I said hypothetically. Do you know what that means?" Robin questions him. "Uh..." Steve trails off. "It means not necessarily real or true," Jessica tells Steve. "We're not broken up but Robin's using an example where we are." "Well, don't," Steve tells her. "Let me finish my thoughts please!" Robin pleads Steve who sighs. "Fine, but I'm not liking that you broke Jess and I up."